Adams Shines in 3-0 Win
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Eloy Jimenez's three-run homer in the first inning was more than enough run support to back Spencer Adams' performance on the mound as the Birmingham Barons (24-28) defeated the Chattanooga Lookouts (31-21), 3-0 Thursday night at Regions Field.
* Turning Point: After Danny Mendick singled and Zack Collins walked to open the game, Jimenez muscled a three-run homer over left field on a pitch that left his bat at 109 mph, rocketing the Barons out to a 3-0 lead.
* Moments That Mattered: On the mound, Adams (W, 3-6) tossed eight complete scoreless frames, striking out six and walking none with just two hits against in his strongest pitching performance on the season.
* He Said It: "I worked ahead in the count a lot tonight," said Adams. "The couple of times I fell behind, I worked the fastball in the zone and got some pop-ups. I just felt comfortable with all my pitches and tried to control the game as much as I could." * Facts and Figures: Birmingham's pitching has fared well against Chattanooga thus far on the season, recording a 1.46 ERA against the Lookouts through eight games. Over the three games this series, Chattanooga has scored two runs and one earned while the Barons have plated 10 runs, nine earned.
* Quotable: "Pitching can be contagious," said Adams about his team's performance against the Lookouts in the series. "Tomshaw and Dunning both went out there and threw a heck of a game. You don't want to one-up the guys in front of you, but you want to work off the energy and keep it going." * By the Numbers: Jimenez's first-inning homer is his tenth of the season, placing him in a tie with teammate Seby Zavala and Biloxi's Jake Gatewood for the Southern League lead. The three-RBI hit also marks the Birmingham slugger's 10th straight game with a hit. With three walks on the night, Collins is now the outright leader in the category across all of Minor League Baseball with 52 free bases.
* Up Next: The two sides will face off again in the fourth game of the series on Friday with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Southpaw Jordan Guerrero (1-5, 6.46 ERA) will deal for the Barons while left-handed counterpart Anthony Marzi (0-2, 6.41 ERA) will toe the rubber for the Lookouts. Curt Bloom will have the call on 960 WERC News Radio and the iHeart Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 31, 2018
- Generals Take Down Biscuits, 14-8 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Adams Shines in 3-0 Win - Birmingham Barons
- Behind Brown, Hager, Shuckers Down M-Braves on Thursday Night 9-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Pitchers Strikeout 26 in Barons Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Brown Delivers Career Night En Route to Shuckers Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- BayBears Drop Game One of Doubleheader, Game Two Rained Out - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Win One Before Rain Arrives - Tennessee Smokies
- Wahoos, Shrimp Postponed in Jacksonville - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Rain Postpones Jumbo Shrimp and Blue Wahoos Thursday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Birmingham Barons News WVTM to Air All-Star Game - Birmingham Barons
- Field Staff and Umpires Selected for 2018 All-Star Game - SL
- Jumbo Shrimp Select Umbel as Platform for Fan Engagement - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Bite Back, Even Series with Generals - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.