Biscuits Bite Back, Even Series with Generals
MONTGOMERY, ALA. - Despite another power surge by Jamie Westbrook and a strong opening effort at Double-A from Bo Takahashi, the Jackson Generals fell 5-4 on Wednesday to the Montgomery Biscuits. The Generals' loss assures that they will finish the month of May with a sub-.500 winning percentage, but they remain just 1.5 games out of first place in the Southern League's North Division.
Takahashi, the 21-year-old Brazilian right-hander, made his first-ever Double-A start with some growing pains, but he pitched into the sixth inning nonetheless. After putting the first two hitters on base with a hit batsman and a walk, Takahashi managed to allow only two runs through his first five frames of work. He struck out nine and walked only two, departing the sixth inning with two outs and two men on base. Bud Jeter was not able to strand those men, allowing a two-run single that gave Montgomery a 4-1 advantage. Still, the Generals fought back to tie the game at 4-4 entering the bottom of the eighth, but a Nick Solak home run off Yoan Lopez in the bottom half of the inning ended up being the difference in a one-run decision.
The team lead in home runs remains a toss-up between Jamie Westbrook and Rudy Flores, each of whom homered for the ninth time this season in Wednesday's game. Jackson's offense also got a two-hit night from Domingo Leyba (including a double), but they were held to just five hits overall on the evening. After stealing 13 bases in their past six games, the Generals were held without a swiped base for the first time since May 21 at Pensacola. They are now 3-4 against Montgomery this year.
TOP PERFORMERS - Generals
2B Domingo Leyba - 2-5, R, 2B
RF Rudy Flores - 1-3, R, HR, RBI
LF Jamie Westbrook - 1-5, R, HR, RBI
TOP PERFORMERS - Montgomery
2B Nick Solak - 2-4, 2 R, HR, RBI, SB
CF Thomas Milone - 1-3, R, HR, RBI
LHP Genesis Cabrera - 6.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 9 K
NEXT GENERALS GAME:
6:35pm CT Thursday (5/31) vs. Montgomery Biscuits
Riverwalk Stadium - Montgomery, Ala.
RHP Jayson McKinley (0-0, 7.36 ERA) vs. RHP Sam McWilliams (1-3, 2.98 ERA)
UPCOMING GENERALS HOMESTANDS:
June 3-7 vs. Tennessee Smokies
June 21-26 vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos
...featuring Sarge's Carnival Weekend (June 22-23)!
Dial 731-988-5299 for tickets to see Jackson Generals Baseball, OR
log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
| Jackson Generals Baseball - #GreenMeansGo |
The baseball season has begun, but it's not too late to come see the Generals (or see them again)! Call 731.988.5299 to order your tickets today, or stop by the box office at 4 Fun Place between 9am and 5pm, just south of exit 85 from Interstate 40! To buy tickets or team merchandise online, or for further information on the 2018 season, log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
Images from this story
Jackson Generals vs. the Montgomery Biscuits
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 31, 2018
- Generals Take Down Biscuits, 14-8 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Adams Shines in 3-0 Win - Birmingham Barons
- Behind Brown, Hager, Shuckers Down M-Braves on Thursday Night 9-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Pitchers Strikeout 26 in Barons Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Brown Delivers Career Night En Route to Shuckers Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- BayBears Drop Game One of Doubleheader, Game Two Rained Out - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Win One Before Rain Arrives - Tennessee Smokies
- Wahoos, Shrimp Postponed in Jacksonville - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Rain Postpones Jumbo Shrimp and Blue Wahoos Thursday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Birmingham Barons News WVTM to Air All-Star Game - Birmingham Barons
- Field Staff and Umpires Selected for 2018 All-Star Game - SL
- Jumbo Shrimp Select Umbel as Platform for Fan Engagement - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Bite Back, Even Series with Generals - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- Generals Issue Letter to City of Jackson Regarding Future
- The Ballpark at Jackson Welcomes High School Baseball
- Generals Offices Closed from December 24th - January 4th
- Shadrack's Christmas Light Show Begins at the Ballpark on November 13th
- Generals Unveil Newest Economic Impact Study