Field Staff and Umpires Selected for 2018 All-Star Game
May 31, 2018 - Southern League (SL) News Release
MARIETTA, GA - The Southern League of Professional Baseball Clubs are proud to announce the on-field staff and umpiring crew for the 2018 Southern League All-Star Game. This year's game is scheduled for Tuesday, June 19 at Regions Field in Birmingham, Alabama.
Leading the North Division and representing the All-Star Game's host city will be Birmingham Barons manager Ryan Newman. Currently in his second season with Birmingham, Newman has been with the Chicago White Sox organization since 2009. The Hayward, California native began his coaching career during the 2005 season. Joining Newman on his staff are Barons hitting coach Cole Armstrong, pitching coach Richard Dotson, athletic trainer Cory Barton, and strength coach Tim Rodmaker.
As a result of securing the 2017 Southern League South Division title, the Pensacola Blue Wahoos will be sending their field staff to the 2018 All-Star Game. At the helm of the South Division roster will be Jody Davis, who is currently spending his first season with Pensacola. A two-time MLB All-Star, Davis was the hitting coach for Triple-A Louisville in 2017. Prior to that, the Gainsville, Georgia native spent four years as a manager in the Cubs organization. Joining Davis on his staff will be Blue Wahoos hitting coach Mike Devereaux, pitching coach James Baldwin, bench coach Lenny Harris, and athletic trainer Tyler Moos.
The crew chief for the 2018 Southern League All-Star Game will be umpire Alex MacKay, a native of Evergreen, Colorado who is in his third straight season with the Southern League and seventh overall in Minor League Baseball. Joining him at first base will be Matt Winter, a native of Hubbard, Iowa also in his third season with the league. On second base will be Meridianville, Alabama native Chase Eade while Carabobo, Venezuela native Jonathan Parra will man third base during the All-Star Game.
The North Division roster will be announced Tuesday, June 5, with the South Division roster following on June 6. Starting lineups and pitchers will follow on June 7 (North) and 8 (South).
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 31, 2018
- Generals Take Down Biscuits, 14-8 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Adams Shines in 3-0 Win - Birmingham Barons
- Behind Brown, Hager, Shuckers Down M-Braves on Thursday Night 9-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Pitchers Strikeout 26 in Barons Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Brown Delivers Career Night En Route to Shuckers Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- BayBears Drop Game One of Doubleheader, Game Two Rained Out - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Win One Before Rain Arrives - Tennessee Smokies
- Wahoos, Shrimp Postponed in Jacksonville - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Rain Postpones Jumbo Shrimp and Blue Wahoos Thursday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Birmingham Barons News WVTM to Air All-Star Game - Birmingham Barons
- Field Staff and Umpires Selected for 2018 All-Star Game - SL
- Jumbo Shrimp Select Umbel as Platform for Fan Engagement - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Bite Back, Even Series with Generals - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.