Generals Edge Shrimp 5-4
JACKSON, Tenn. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (66-69, 37-28) fell to the Jackson Generals (76-57, 37-26) by a 5-4 score in the first game of the five-game series at The Ballpark at Jackson on Thursday night.
Jackson right-handed starting pitcher Bo Takahashi (9-7) earned the victory, working five and two-third innings where he allowed three runs (two earned) on six hits with no walks and seven strikeouts. Jacksonville left-handed starting pitcher Braxton Garrett (0-1) took the loss in his Double-A debut. The Marlins No. 8 prospect worked an inning and two-thirds, allowing four runs (three earned) on four hits with three walks and a strikeout. Jackson right-handed relief pitcher West Tunnell worked a scoreless ninth to record his fifth save of the season.
The Generals built an early 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Pavin Smith and Drew Ellis had back-to-back RBI singles, followed by a sacrifice fly by Renae Martinez to put the lead at 3-0. Jacksonville responded in the top of the second with RBI singles from Riley Mahan and Santiago Chavez to cut Jackson's lead to 3-2. Jackson got a run back in the bottom of the second on an Ellis RBI single to make it 4-2. Jackson's next run came in the bottom of the fifth against Jacksonville left-handed relief pitcher McKenzie Mills, with an RBI single from Camden Duzenack to grow the lead to 5-2.
Jacksonville added a run in the top of the sixth inning on a bases-loaded walk to Justin Twine to cut Jackson's lead to 5-3. The Jumbo Shrimp made it a one-run game in the top of the eighth, with Joe Dunand leading off the inning with a towering home run to left field to make it 5-4, which would be the final.
Jumbo Shrimp relief pitchers Alex Mateo and Vincenzo Aiello combined to work the final three innings out of the bullpen in scoreless fashion.
The Jumbo Shrimp and Generals will continue their series with the second game of the five-game set on Friday night at 7:05 p.m. eastern. Left-handed pitcher Trevor Rogers (1-2, 4.71 ERA) will start for Jacksonville against Jackson right-handed pitcher Matt Peacock (8-4, 2.96 ERA). Fans can listen to the game on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 6:50 p.m. eastern with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on Sunny 102.3 FM, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Ibandel Isabel Named Southern League Postseason All-Star - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Fall in Extras Despite Flores' Gem - Birmingham Barons
- Lien Homers Twice in Wild Series Opening Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Biscuits Win Second Half North Division - Montgomery Biscuits
- Ellis Is Enough: Third Baseman Leads Generals to 5-4 Win - Jackson Generals
- Machin Plates Two En Route to a Game One Win for the Smokies - Tennessee Smokies
- Blue Wahoos and Biscuits to Play Friday Doubleheader - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Edge Shrimp 5-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Garrett to Jacksonville, Roeder to New Orleans - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: August 29 vs. Jacksonville - Jackson Generals
- Final Homestand: Generals Host Jumbo Shrimp, August 29-September 2 - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 29 at Jackson - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jumbo Shrimp Unveil Weekend-Heavy 2020 Schedule - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Homestand Highlights: August 29-September 2 vs. Chattanooga Lookouts - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp Help Package 50,000 Meals for Rise against Hunger
- Mesa Earns 2019 Rawlings Gold Glove Award
- Jumbo Shrimp to Host Swing for Your Seats on September 19
- Jumbo Shrimp Win Southern League Promotional Trophy; O'Brien Earns Sports Media Award
- Tommy Eveld Named BC S.L. Relief Pitcher of Month for August