Game Day Hub: November 9
Portland Winterhawks vs. Vancouver Giants
The Winterhawks wrap up their home-and-home series with the Giants on Saturday night. It is the team's seventh home game of the year and first of two home November meetings with the Giants.
Puck Drop: 6:00 p.m. PT
Venue: Moda Center (Portland, OR)
Listen Live: Winterhawks Radio Network and on the Winterhawks App. You can also listen live in the arena by tuning your radio to 98.1 FM.
Watch Live: WHL Live
Tickets: Portland vs. Vancouver
Tonight: The Winterhawks will honor the sacrifices of our men and women in uniform tonight at the Moda Center during the Boeing Veterans Salute.
Last night, the Giants beat the Winterhawks for the first time since February 4, 2018 and it was just the second time in 16 games this year the Hawks were held to just one goal.
They return to the Moda Center with a 5-1-0-0 home record. Meanwhile, the Giants have played just one road game since October 18 and they now sit just a half game back of the division lead.
Lukas Svejkovsky has been hot in November with goals in three straight contests and Trent Miner is 3-0-0-0 in his last three appearances, stopping 76-of-79 shots. Winterhawks forward and top 2020 NHL Draft prospect Seth Jarvis is tied for 12th in league scoring with 22 points. Only Spokane's Adam Beckman has more points in the U.S. Division. He had the primary assist in the Hawks lone Friday night goal.
Portland is the first U.S. Division team to score 60 goals this season and their +19 goal differential is also tops in the division and second behind Kamloops in the Western Conference.
Tonight, the Winterhawks begin their longest home stand of the season. Six of the next seven games will be played at the Rose Quarter. The Hawks have to get off to a better start to have success against Vancouver because they have never won a game in which they allowed the first goal or trailed after two periods (0-3-0-1).
The Hawks and Giants wrap up their regular season series at the Moda Center on November 20.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Broncos Battle Back But Fall Short in Moose Jaw - Swift Current Broncos
- Oil Kings Stifle Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Tracey Has Three Points in Win over Broncos - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pats Succumb to Winnipeg - Regina Pats
- Broncos Acquire Matthew Benson from Warriors - Swift Current Broncos
- Chiefs Add Overage Forward Baron Thompson - Spokane Chiefs
- Game Preview: Blades Meet Wheaties for Third Time this Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Game 19 at Kamloops - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE Look for Bounce Back Win over Regina. - Winnipeg Ice
- Preview: Bronocs Meet Moose Jaw in First of Six Meetings - Swift Current Broncos
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, November 9 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Hub: November 9 - Portland Winterhawks
- Raiders Double up Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Cougars Take a Point in Shootout Setback - Prince George Cougars
- Game Day Preview: Pats Make First Visit to Winnipeg Saturday Night - Regina Pats
- Oil Kings Let Lead Slip Away in Shootout Loss to Hurricanes - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Silvertips Continue Hot Road Play, Edge Spokane 4-3 - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Down the Winterhawks 3-1 to Earn Third Straight Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers outroar Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Top Rockets 8-5 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE Fall to Warriors 3-2 in Moose Jaw - Winnipeg Ice
- Rebels with a Solid Effort, But Lose 3-1 in Saskatoon - Red Deer Rebels
- Blazers Beat T-Birds in High Scoring Game - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Shoot Past Cougars - Victoria Royals
- No Dice in Vancouver - Portland Winterhawks
- Chiefs Comeback Bid Falls Short - Spokane Chiefs
- Americans Make Late Comeback, Earn Shootout Victory - Tri-City Americans
- Tri-City Gets by Hitmen in Shootout - Calgary Hitmen
- Blades Begin Four Game Home-Stand with Win over Rebels - Saskatoon Blades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Winterhawks Stories
- Simon Knak Invited to Switzerland's World Junior Camp
- Winterhawks Partner with the Les Schwab / KPTV Toy Drive
- Winterhawks Forward Jarvis Benefits from Breakout Season
- Winterhawks Grant Players Temporary Loans
- Seth Jarvis Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp