Giants Down the Winterhawks 3-1 to Earn Third Straight Victory
Vancouver Giants defenceman Dylan Plouffe and the Giants bench
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Chris Relke)
Vancouver, B.C. - Friday night at the Langley Events Centre in front of over 3800 strong the Vancouver Giants (10-8-1-0) secured a 3-1 victory over the Portland Winterhawks (10-5-0-1). Lukas Svejkovsky, Tanner Brown and Evan Patrician scored first period markers for the G-Men who also got 26 saves from Trent Miner. Reece Newkirk had Portland's lone goal in response while Joel Hofer made 35 saves.
VAN - Lukas Svejkovsky increased his goal-scoring streak to three straight games when he buried his fifth at 2:19. Jackson Shepard and Seth Bafaro helped set it up.
VAN - Tanner Brown doubled the Giants lead at 7:25. He raced down the left-wing, took a feed from Tristen Nielsen and wired his first career WHL goal past the glove of Joel Hofer. Alex Kannok Leipert had the second assist.
VAN - Evan Patrician extended his point-streak to four straight games when he converted from the slot. Lukas Svejkovsky and Jackson Shepard assisted on his second goal of the season. The time of the goal was 15:02.
Shots: 21-9 Vancouver
Shots 11-7 Portland
POR - The lone Winterhawks goal of the game came at 14:42 from Reece Newkirk. The New York Islanders prospect took a pass from the high slot, spun around and snuck a low shot past Trent Miner's stick. Seth Jarvis and Jaydon Dureau had the helpers.
Shots: 10-7 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 3 - Portland 1
Final Shots: 38 - 27 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 26/27 saves for Vancouver (5-4-1-0)
Joel Hofer: 35/38 saves for Portland (10-3-0-1)
Vancouver: 0/4 on the Power Play
Portland: 0/4 on the Power Play
Trent Miner (VAN - 26 Saves)
Lukas Svejkovsky (VAN - 1G, 1A)
Evan Patrician (VAN - 1G, +2)
Next Game: Tomorrow night at 6:00 PM against the Portland Winterhawks in the back-half of the home-and-home set.
Friday's victory for the Giants snapped a five-game winless skid against Portland.
Lukas Svejkovsky has now scored a goal in three straight games for the Giants.
Trent Miner is now 3-0 in his past three appearances.
Over his past four games, Evan Patrician has registered one goal and four assists for five points.
The Giants scored three goals in the first period for the first time since September 21st in Prince George.
Jackson Shepard suited up in his 200th career WHL game on Friday night against Portland.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Broncos Battle Back But Fall Short in Moose Jaw - Swift Current Broncos
- Oil Kings Stifle Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Tracey Has Three Points in Win over Broncos - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pats Succumb to Winnipeg - Regina Pats
- Broncos Acquire Matthew Benson from Warriors - Swift Current Broncos
- Chiefs Add Overage Forward Baron Thompson - Spokane Chiefs
- Game Preview: Blades Meet Wheaties for Third Time this Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Game 19 at Kamloops - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE Look for Bounce Back Win over Regina. - Winnipeg Ice
- Preview: Bronocs Meet Moose Jaw in First of Six Meetings - Swift Current Broncos
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, November 9 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Hub: November 9 - Portland Winterhawks
- Raiders Double up Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Cougars Take a Point in Shootout Setback - Prince George Cougars
- Game Day Preview: Pats Make First Visit to Winnipeg Saturday Night - Regina Pats
- Oil Kings Let Lead Slip Away in Shootout Loss to Hurricanes - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Silvertips Continue Hot Road Play, Edge Spokane 4-3 - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Down the Winterhawks 3-1 to Earn Third Straight Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers outroar Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Top Rockets 8-5 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE Fall to Warriors 3-2 in Moose Jaw - Winnipeg Ice
- Rebels with a Solid Effort, But Lose 3-1 in Saskatoon - Red Deer Rebels
- Blazers Beat T-Birds in High Scoring Game - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Shoot Past Cougars - Victoria Royals
- No Dice in Vancouver - Portland Winterhawks
- Chiefs Comeback Bid Falls Short - Spokane Chiefs
- Americans Make Late Comeback, Earn Shootout Victory - Tri-City Americans
- Tri-City Gets by Hitmen in Shootout - Calgary Hitmen
- Blades Begin Four Game Home-Stand with Win over Rebels - Saskatoon Blades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Acquire Preziuso, Longo and a 2020 First-Round Pick in a Blockbuster Trade with Medicine Hat
- Giants Drop a Hard-Fought 2-1 Game to Spokane at Home Friday
- Giants Edged by Royals 3-1 Wednesday on the Island
- Giants Sign Holden Katzalay to a Standard WHL Player Agreement
- Bowen Byram Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp