Game Day Hub: January 23 vs SPO
Portland Winterhawks vs Spokane Chiefs
With a season-high 10-game point streak in tow, the Winterhawks take on the Spokane Chiefs looking to go three-for-three on the weekend.
Puck Drop: 5:00 p.m. PT
Venue: Veterans Memorial Coliseum - Portland, OR
Previous Meetings This Season: Portland is 4-1-0-0 Against Spokane
Portland 4 @ Spokane 1 (Dec 18 2021)
Portland 1 @ Spokane 4 (Dec 17 2021)
Spokane 3 @ Portland 7 (Dec 11 2021)
Spokane 1 @ Portland 4 (Dec 10 2021)
Spokane 0 @ Portland 3 (Oct 10 2021)
Listen Live: Winterhawks Radio Network and on the Winterhawks App. Fans can listen live in the arena on 87.9 FM.
Watch Live: WHL Live on CHL TV
Game Notes: Winterhawks Game Notes
Upcoming Promotional Games:
Friday, Jan. 28 - Pride Night
FOLLOW ALONG: Box Score
Let's make it three
After last night's rousing win over Seattle, the Hawks are two-for-two in this weekend's games so far, with a rare chance to sweep a three-in-three should they top the Chiefs tonight. Led by a pair of two-goal games from Tyson Kozak and some stellar goaltending from both Dante Giannuzzi and Taylor Gauthier, it's been a statement week for Portland as the club has climbed to second place on points in the U.S. Division.
The Winterhawks are 4-1-0-0 against Spokane this season, their only loss coming on Dec. 17 on the road. Giannuzzi has started all five contests, posting a sterling 1.81 GAA and .922% save percentage against the Chiefs, while Robbie Fromm-Delorme, Clay Hanus and Tyson Kozak have led the way offensively.
Portland and Spokane are meeting for just the first time since Dec. 18, but will get to see plenty of each other coming up. Six of Portland's 11 games in the month of February are against Spokane, with two of those coming on home ice and four on the road. For the Winterhawks, five of those matchups will come in consecutive order. Tonight's tilt serves as a measuring stick of sorts before the two teams engage in a playoff-esque series next month.
Kozak's double feature
Tyson Kozak has been scoring in bunches lately, including back-to-back two-goal games to start this weekend and has tallied multiple goals in three of his last five games. Portland's co-captain also netted the game-winning goals to knock off Tri-City and Seattle, and leads the team with 19G and 19A for 38 points in 37 games. As the Hawks go for a third win on the weekend tonight, look for #18 to keep up his hot streak.
WIN A TOYOTA:
Back for another season, fans 18+ who reside in Oregon or Southwest Washington can ENTER TO WIN a brand new Toyota car, truck, or SUV.
Each game this season, one lucky fan will have their entry drawn and they will have a chance to win our grand prize if they get all five game predictions correct.
Tonight, we are cheering on: Erin L. from Portland, OR
What our Hawks fan could win: A brand new Rav4
What needs to happen?
Portland Winterhawks (4) beat the Spokane Chiefs (3)
Cross Hanas scores the first Winterhawks goal.
Portland goaltenders make 34 total saves.
Spokane goaltenders make 52 total saves.
Good luck tonight, Erin!
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 23, 2022
- Tetachuk Backstops Warriors to Win in Calgary - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Hitmen Fall to Moose Jaw in Return Home - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Hub: January 23 vs SPO - Portland Winterhawks
- Preview: Chiefs Continue Road Trip in Portland Sunday - Spokane Chiefs
- Mutala Hat Trick Leads Ams to 4-1 Victory over Spokane - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Down Raiders 6-4 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- T-Birds Falter in Portland - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Warriors Edge Rebels in Entertaining, Fast-Paced Contest - Red Deer Rebels
- Broncos Down Hurricanes 3-1 at Home - Swift Current Broncos
- Derungs Scores Twice in Royals Loss to Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- ICE Fall 7-2 in Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Short-Handed Cougars Game in Narrow Loss at Kamloops - Prince George Cougars
- Crnkovic Becomes WHL Points Leader, Win-Streak Reaches Four - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Fight off Rebels in Big Road Win Saturday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Gordie Howe-Tanen Huuhtanen Nets Two, Zellweger Pots a Shortie in 5-3 Win in Victoria - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Start Road Trip with 7-0 Loss to Seattle Thunderbirds - Spokane Chiefs
- Portland Does It Again, Beats Seattle at Home - Portland Winterhawks
- Chiefs Avoid Shutout, Fall 4-1 to Rival Americans - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Winterhawks Stories
- Winterhawks Welcome Two New Prospects During 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft
- Winterhawks Season Comes to a Close in Game 7
- Game Day Hub: Round 2, Game 7 vs Seattle
- Portland, Seattle Set for Game 7 on Tuesday
- Winterhawks Weekly: Down the Stretch We Go in Round 2