Four Spot Sends Cougars Four Above .500
Burlington, Iowa - The Kane County Cougars (11-7) scored four runs in the fifth inning to beat the Burlington Bees (12-6) by a final of 4-1 on Monday night at Community Field. Ryan Weiss (1-1) earned his first win as a Cougar.
Neither starting pitcher budged in the first three innings. Weiss allowed just two hits over the first three frames, while Burlington starter Cole Duensing faced one over the minimum. However, in the fourth, the Bees rallied with one out against Weiss. Spencer Griffin doubled, then the next batter, Francisco Del Valle, reached on an error by Cougar first baseman Andy Yerzy, scoring Griffin.
The Cougars were quick to strike back in the fifth. Alek Thomas tripled to start the frame. Alex King tied the game with a sacrifice fly and also reached first base because left fielder Francisco Del Valle dropped the ball. Eddie Hernandez doubled to drive in King then came around to score an insurance run two batters later on Jorge Perez's RBI double. The Cougars capped the four-run rally on Zack Shannon's two-out RBI single.
The run Weiss allowed in the fourth was unearned and proved to be the only blemish in his five-inning start. The right-hander surrendered just three hits, didn't walk anyone and struck out five. Erin Baldwin came in on his 23rd birthday and didn't allow a run or a hit in 1.2 innings, although he did walk three. Blake Workman (2) nailed down his second save in as many outings with 2.1 innings of no-run, two-hit ball.
Duensing (1-1) took the loss for Burlington. He was charged with four runs (two earned) in 4.2 innings on the hill. Mayky Perez got the final out of the fifth. Hector Yan pitched the final four innings for Burlington and did not allow a run.
The Cougars look to win the series a day early on Tuesday night. Right-hander Justin Lewis (0-1, 4.63) takes the ball for the Cougars against Bees right-hander Robinson Pina (2-0, 2.45). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Proctor Homers Hot Rods to 3-1 Victory on Monday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Tommy Parsons Tosses 2-Hit Shutout to Beat Quad Cities - Peoria Chiefs
- Murray K's 10 Before Cubs Win in 10, 13-10 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Win Wild Series Opener in Lansing 13-10 - South Bend Cubs
- River Bandits Unable to Solve Parsons in 7-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Four Spot Sends Cougars Four Above .500 - Kane County Cougars
- Lightning Strikes Twice in 5-1 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Weathers Impresses Again, But TinCaps Drop Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Loons Continue Search for Right Recipe - Great Lakes Loons
- Lake County Erases 4-Run Deficit to Defeat Dragons, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Rained Out at Home on Monday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels, Timber Rattlers Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Treat Mom to Mother's Day Brunch at the Ballpark on May 12 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 22 vs. Bowling Green (Game 17) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Dubin Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Announce New Classroom Appreciation Grant, Improvements to Reading Club Program
- Kane County Cougars Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Cougars Announce Winter Coat and Boot Drive Begins December 2
- Cougars Announce New Military Partnership with Folds of Honor
- Ballpark Digest Honors Cougars for Commitment to Charity