Former Penguin Darcy Robinson Passes Away
WILKES-BARRE, PA - Former Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins defenseman Darcy Robinson passed away tonight while playing for Asiago of the Italian Ice Hockey Federation. He was 26 years old.
According to a report on the Asiago team website, Robinson was skating during the first period of Asiago's season opening game against Renon when he fell to the ice without being hit. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. No cause of death was immediately known.
"The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins would like to express our deepest condolences to the entire Robinson family," said team CEO Jeff Barrett. "Darcy was a fun-loving and friendly member of the team, and was always seen around the rink with a smile on his face. That's how all Penguins fans will remember him."
Originally drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the eighth round (233rd overall) of the 1999 Entry Draft, Robinson appeared in 158 regular season games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton between 2001-2005, recording 21 points (3+18).
The native of Kamloops, British Columbia also appeared in 16 games with the Wheeling Nailers (ECHL), recording six points (2+4).
Robinson joined Asiago prior to the 2005-06 season, and recorded 17 points (10+7) and 177 penalty minutes in 66 games with the club.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 27, 2007
- Admirals Fall to Monsters 4-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Former Penguin Darcy Robinson Passes Away - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rampage Trim Eight From Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Blues Assign Four To Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Moose Assign Seven, Release Six from Training Camp Roster - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs set up fan bus for opener in Quad City - Rockford IceHogs
- The Stanley Cup is Coming to Maine - Portland Pirates
- Wolf Pack Make Roster Moves - Connecticut Whale
- Two players reassigned to Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Break Camp in Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Edmonton Oilers Reassign Four Players To Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks announce Rbk EDGE Uniform - Worcester Sharks
- Sharks launch "Be a Leader" program - Worcester Sharks
- 2007 AHL MVP Haydar Among Six Assigned to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs And Juravinski Cancer Centre Announce Pink In The Rink On Sunday, October 21st! - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Griffins Sign Galvin and Clark to PTOs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Edmonton Oilers Reassign 9 Players To Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Pack Punch In 3-1 Victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Come Back to Stay Undefeated against Devils
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Mid-Week Home Game against Devils
- Ryan Scarfo Recalled by Penguins
- Penguins Drop 5-1 Decision at Hershey
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3