The Stanley Cup is Coming to Maine
PORTLAND, ME - The Portland Pirates, the proud AHL affiliate of the Stanley Cup Champion Anaheim Ducks, have announced the team's plans for Opening Weekend on Friday, October 5th and Saturday, October 6th. The plan includes the arrival of the Stanley Cup, great giveaways, a ticket plan and great entertainment all weekend.
The Pirates first two games of the 2007-2008 season will feature an Opening Weekend ticket package where fans can get tickets to both games for the price of one. Fans that buy one ticket to Friday's game at full price will receive one ticket to Saturday's game free. To take advantage of this money saving offer, fans must purchase tickets before Thursday, October 4th. Individual tickets for all Pirates home games will go on sale Saturday, September 29th at 10:00 a.m. at the Cumberland County Civic Center.
Opening weekend will include numerous events and giveaways surrounding the celebration of the Anaheim Ducks capturing the Stanley Cup this past spring. On Friday the Pirates will open the 2007-08 season against the Springfield Falcons (Edmonton Oilers) at 7:05 p.m. Plans for Opening Night include a magnetic schedule giveaway sponsored by New England Credit Consultants. During the game the a videoboard will feature highlights from the Anaheim Ducks championship playoff run.
Saturday marks the arrival of the Stanley Cup to Maine. It will be the first time since 2003 that the Cup has come to Portland. During the day the Pirates will provide an opportunity for fans from all over the state of Maine to view take pictures and celebrate the Stanley Cup in Maine. A schedule of appearances leads up to the Pirates game versus the Lowell Devils (New Jersey Devils) at the Cumberland County Civic Center at 7:05 p.m. The pre-game events at the Civic Center will also include a performance from the band WEATHERD, an acoustic, pop, rock style band that is appealing to all ages. Plus, the first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive Duck Calls courtesy of Ducks Unlimited.
The Pirates will celebrate the Anaheim Ducks Championship with a full schedule of events throughout the day. Transportation for the Stanley Cup will be provided by Lilly's Limousine. The schedule for the day is below:
Saturday, October 6th
Androscoggin Bank Colisee (Lewiston, ME)
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. (Appearance by Governor Baldacci)
L.L.Bean (Freeport, ME)
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Portland Museum of Art (Portland, ME)
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Barbara Bush Children's Hospital (Portland, ME)
1:45 p.m.- 2:30 p.m.
Cumberland County Civic Center (Portland, ME)
The Stanley Cup is the most famous trophy in the sports world. The Cup was first presented in 1893 and is the oldest trophy competed for by professional athletes.
The historic trophy has logged more than 400,000 miles in travel during the past five seasons and raised more than $4 million for charity during the past three seasons. After winning the Stanley Cup, each winning player and team management member gets to have the Cup for a day to share with family and friends. The Stanley Cup weighs 35 pounds and stands just under three feet in height.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 27, 2007
- Admirals Fall to Monsters 4-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Former Penguin Darcy Robinson Passes Away - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rampage Trim Eight From Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Blues Assign Four To Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Moose Assign Seven, Release Six from Training Camp Roster - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs set up fan bus for opener in Quad City - Rockford IceHogs
- The Stanley Cup is Coming to Maine - Portland Pirates
- Wolf Pack Make Roster Moves - Connecticut Whale
- Two players reassigned to Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Break Camp in Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Edmonton Oilers Reassign Four Players To Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks announce Rbk EDGE Uniform - Worcester Sharks
- Sharks launch "Be a Leader" program - Worcester Sharks
- 2007 AHL MVP Haydar Among Six Assigned to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs And Juravinski Cancer Centre Announce Pink In The Rink On Sunday, October 21st! - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Griffins Sign Galvin and Clark to PTOs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Edmonton Oilers Reassign 9 Players To Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Pack Punch In 3-1 Victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.