Blues Assign Four To Rivermen
ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Blues President John Davidson announced today the club has reduced their roster to 28 players, sending forwards Chris Porter, Yan Stastny and Trent Whitfield along with defenseman Roman Polak to the Peoria Rivermen.
Whitfield is a veteran of 174 NHL games over the course of a nine-year pro career with the Washington Capitals, New York Rangers, and Blues. Last year the Estevan, Saskatchewan native scored 33 goals and 78 points in a Rivermen uniform in 79 games, his second with the club. Whitfield turned pro in 1998-99 and was originally a fourth round pick by the Boston Bruins in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.
Polak spent 19 games with the Blues last season as well as appearing in 53 contests with Peoria, where he notched four goals and 12 points with 66 minutes in penalties. The 6-1, 198-pound rearguard was a sixth round draft choice by the Blues in 2004.
Stastny, 25, was acquired from the Boston Bruins in a trade last season in exchange for a fifth round draft pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft (Denis Reul). In 41 career NHL games Stastny has one goal and six points, and last year notched 11 goals and 28 points in 39 games with the Rivermen after the trade.
Also heading to Peoria will be rookie forward Chris Porter. Originally selected by Chicago in the ninth round in 2003, Porter comes off a four-year career at the University of North Dakota in which he posted career highs for goals (13), assists (17), and points (30) in his senior season. The 6-2, 205 lb. native of Sioux City, Iowa signed on with St. Louis as a free agent earlier this summer.
Peoria will now prepare for weekend a weekend home and home series with the Rockford IceHogs, kicking things off Friday night at the Peoria Civic Center at 7 pm. The return engagement will take place in Rockford on Saturday night, also a 7 pm start.
Want free pre-season tickets? Purchase your full season seats today starting as low as $395 each! The season kicks off on Saturday, October 6 against the Milwaukee Admirals. Fans wishing to purchase full or partial season tickets may do so by calling Wendy Mitchell at (309) 680-3763. We'll see you at the games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 27, 2007
- Admirals Fall to Monsters 4-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Former Penguin Darcy Robinson Passes Away - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rampage Trim Eight From Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Blues Assign Four To Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Moose Assign Seven, Release Six from Training Camp Roster - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs set up fan bus for opener in Quad City - Rockford IceHogs
- The Stanley Cup is Coming to Maine - Portland Pirates
- Wolf Pack Make Roster Moves - Connecticut Whale
- Two players reassigned to Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Break Camp in Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Edmonton Oilers Reassign Four Players To Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks announce Rbk EDGE Uniform - Worcester Sharks
- Sharks launch "Be a Leader" program - Worcester Sharks
- 2007 AHL MVP Haydar Among Six Assigned to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs And Juravinski Cancer Centre Announce Pink In The Rink On Sunday, October 21st! - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Griffins Sign Galvin and Clark to PTOs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Edmonton Oilers Reassign 9 Players To Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Pack Punch In 3-1 Victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Rivermen Stories
- Rivermen Comeback Effort Falls Short, Season Ends Friday
- Rivermen Drop Back-And-Forth Playoff Opener Wednesday
- Rivermen Challenge Roanoke, Announce First-Round Schedule
- Rivermen Announce Final Cuts, Finalize Playoff Roster
- Rivermen Battle Back Again, Beat Mayhem Saturday