Flames Doused by Comets in 4-1 Defeat
Glens Falls, NY - The Adirondack Flames fell to the Utica Comets on Saturday evening, as they were bested by their North Division rivals by a 4-1 final in front of 4,210 fans at the Glens Falls Civic Center.
While the Flames held tight for the majority of the evening thanks to a goal from David Wolf and 21 saves from Joni Ortio,, the Comets proved too much for Adirondack. Brendan Gaunce, Wacey Hamilton, Frank Corrado, and Alex Friesen all scored for Utica, while Jacob Markstrom made 19 saves to earn the victory.
It was the Comets who struck first, as Gaunce opened the scoring just 2:13 into the game. Gaunce rushed into the zone down the right side and roofed the puck over Ortio to put Utica on the board. The goal, which was Gaunce's third of the season, was unassisted.
Just 18 seconds later, the Comets lit the lamp again, this time courtesy of Hamilton.. Hamilton rushed into the zone, and was first to a rebound off of a Hunter Shinkaruk shot and poked the puck up and over Ortio's shoulder and into the net. The goal for Hamilton was his third of the season, and was assisted by Shinkaruk and Tommernes.
It took 19 minutes and 56 seconds before any scoring occurred in the second period, but when the Flames finally broke through, the Teddy Bears came flying down. With just four seconds remaining in the second stanza, Wolf pulled the Flames within one, as he beat Markstrom off of a rebound in front which came off of a Ben Hanowski shot. Bill Arnold earned the secondary assist on Wolf's goal, which was his fifth of the season.
The Comets regained their two goal lead 13:10 into the final frame, as Frank Corrado beat Joni Ortio with a power play blast from the point. Corrado took a slap shot off of a one-time feed from Cal O'Reilly. The shot found its way through traffic in front and reached the back of the net. The goal for Corrado was his third of the campaign and was assisted by O'Reilly and Jensen.
Alex Friesen sealed the deal for the Comets with an empty net goal at 17:58 of the third which put them ahead 4-1. The goal for Friesen, which was his fourth of the year, was unassisted.
The Flames will return to action next Friday as they will again meet the Comets, this time back in Utica. Adirondack won't be back home until December 31st, for a New Year's Eve tilt with the Toronto Marlies. Puck drop is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. with an indoor fireworks show to occur after the game. Tickets are still available for that contest and all remaining Flames' home games. Visit the Flames box office, call 518-480-3355, or order online at glensfallscc.com to be a part of a New Year's Eve celebration with the Flames.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 20, 2014
- Pulkkinen Nets Winner in 4-3 Shootout Win over Lake Erie - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Home Crowd Watches Crunch Extend Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Americans 4-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Barons Beat IceHogs 3-2 in OT Thriller - Oklahoma City Barons
- Wolves Fall to Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Continue to Dominate Flames - Utica Comets
- First Period Too Much for B-Sens - Binghamton Senators
- Zatkoff Shines as Penguins Shutout Senators - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Norfolk Splits Series against Bridgeport with 2-1 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Gregoire and Graovac Help Wild Cruise Past Wolves 5-1 - Iowa Wild
- Flames Doused by Comets in 4-1 Defeat - Adirondack Flames
- Monsters Fall to Griffins in Shootout, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Pirates Win in OT to Head into Holiday Break - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Edge Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Amerks Doubled up by Admirals in 4-2 Loss - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Head into Holidays with 5-4 Win over B's - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Drop 4-3 OT Decision in Portland - Worcester Sharks
- Falcons Down Bears, 2-1, in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- Canadiens Assign Joey Macdonald to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Heated Game Ends in Devils Defeat - Albany Devils
- Providence Bruins Fall to Manchester Monarchs, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack Conquers Lehigh Valley 2-1 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lehigh Valley on 5-Game Point Streak Following 2-1 OT Loss - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars' Balanced Attack Topples Marlies - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall to Stars 3-1 - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall Larsson from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Kings Kings Recall Andy Andreoff from Conditioning Assignment - Manchester Monarchs
- Detroit Recalls McCollum, Assigns Ouellet - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Sign G Travis Fullerton to PTO - Rochester Americans
- Legendary Broadcaster Mike 'Doc' Emrick to Serve as Hershey Bears Hockey Club Hall of Fame Emcee - Hershey Bears
- Ouellette Recalled from Loan by Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Texas Adds Defenseman Mangene to Roster - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Make Pair of Roster Moves - St. John's IceCaps
- Columbus Blue Jackets Recall Center Sean Collins - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Sign Cianfrini to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sabres Recall Grigorenko from Amerks - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.