#FCDvNM: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match
FC Dallas faces New Mexico United on Wednesday, June 19th at 7:00 PM CT at Southern Methodist University's Westcott Field in Dallas, Texas. The winner of this match will play either Minnesota United or Houston Dynamo away, setting up the potential for a Texas Derby in the quarterfinals.
Details You Need to Know:
Gameday Social: #FCDvNM
TV: Available Online at ESPN+
Game Notes Available HERE
Next Home Match: FC Dallas hosts Toronto FC on Saturday, June 22 at 7 PM CT
News You Need to Know
FC Dallas Looks to Bounce Back from Last Season's Round of 16 Loss (FCDallas.com)
FC Dallas Starts Rigorous Schedule This Wednesday vs. New Mexico United (FCDallas.com)
FC Dallas Easily Tops OKC Energy, 4-0, to Advance in Open Cup (Pro Soccer USA)
Ricardo Pepi Makes FC Dallas Debut in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup (FCDallas.com)
5 Things to Know About #FCDvNM
FC Dallas head coach Luchi Gonzalez will feel at home at the SMU's Wescott Field on Wednesday night. An ex-Mustang, Gonzales scored 48 goals and chipped in with 32 assists as well in his years at SMU. During his final year at University Park, Luchi Gonzalez won the Hermann trophy for best collegiate player.
Work on the Training Ground
While FC Dallas was strong in all aspects of its first Open Cup Match of the year, it was especially lethal from set pieces with Matt Hedges heading in the first goal from a corner. The third goal came from a cleverly worked play with Dominique Badji wide open on the penalty spot. After the game Badji confirmed that the goal was a set play that was drawn up on the training ground, saying "I knew he [Jesus Ferreira] was going to hit it there, and he gave me a great ball."
Contrasting Workload for Goalkeepers
Jimmy Maurer started in goal for FC Dallas against OKC Energy on Wednesday and had a relatively easy night as FC Dallas dominated with 66% possession. In fact, Maurer did not have to make a single save. However, New Mexico's first ever appearance has been fraught with action for Cody Mizell. In his first three Open Cup games he has averaged 5.7 saves a game, as well as saving three penalties, including a crucial save in the shootout against Colorado Rapids that helped send them through to the Round of 16.
Dealing with the Heat
As the heat in Texas rises, FC Dallas tend to play better, especially in the Open Cup. Historically, FC Dallas is 12-3-1 during Open Cup Matches in June. The only three losses FC Dallas has had in the Open Cup in June came against other MLS teams.
Badji Finding Form
Dominique Badji continued to impress on the wing for FC Dallas, scoring a goal and creating a few chances for his teammates in the earlier round in a 4-0 rout of the OKC Energy. In his last five matches in all competitions, Badji has scored two goals and assisted one.
Dallas enters Round of 16 of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with a first-ever matchup against New Mexico United.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2019
- MNUFC Topples Reigning Open Cup Champ Houston in Round of 16 - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Advances to USOC Quarterfinals with 3-2 Win over Columbus - Atlanta United FC
- Houston's Open Cup Title Defense Ends with 3-2 Loss to Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 18, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign Kyle Adams and Carlos Small to Short-Term Agreements - Houston Dynamo
- Frisco Native and "The Voice" Season 16 Winner Maelyn Jarmon Added to National Soccer Hall of Fame Concert Lineup - FC Dallas
- #FCDvNM: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC - New England Revolution
- Telemundo 48 to Air Three 2019 Earthquakes MLS Matches - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Hosts New England in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes to Host Eighth Annual Wine and Dine Event August 25 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo US Open Cup Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Lodeiro, Antuna Among MLS Players Shining at International Tournaments - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Earns a Point in Comeback Draw against Montreal Impact
- #MTLvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match
- FC Dallas Falls to LA Galaxy 2-0
- #LAvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match
- FC Dallas End Minnesota United FC's 11-Game Unbeaten Streak in 5-3 Win