Atlanta United Advances to USOC Quarterfinals with 3-2 Win over Columbus
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Atlanta United defeated Columbus Crew SC 3-2 Tuesday night at MAPFRE Stadium to advance to the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals for the first time in club history. Behind a brace from Brandon Vazquez, Atlanta won a dramatic back-and-forth affair that included a 50-minute delay in the second half because of severe weather in the area. Also, Miles Robinson scored his first career goal with the First Team, as Atlanta will move on to host a quarterfinal matchup at Fifth Third Bank Stadium on Wednesday, July 10 at 7:30 p.m. against the winner of FC Cincinnati/Saint Louis FC.
Atlanta opened the scoring in the fifth minute from Vazquez, his fifth in six all-time appearances in the Open Cup. After a heavy touch from David Guzman, Vazquez corralled a loose ball, dribbled in alone and beat Jon Kempin to the near post with a shot to the lower right corner. It was the fastest goal in club history in U.S. Open Cup play.
Robinson doubled the lead less than 10 minutes later from a set piece. Ezequiel Barco sent a corner to the back post where Robinson, unmarked, powerfully headed the ball into the ground and into back of the net for a 2-0 lead.
Columbus pulled one back in the 40th minute from David Accam. After a clearance, Harrison Afful attempted a long-range effort that was deflected toward the corner. Luis Argudo raced over and sent a cross to the center of the box that found Accam; his shot got through a crowd of players and into the far corner to make it 2-1.
But Atlanta re-gained its two-goal lead after halftime with an assist to Leandro Gonzalez Pirez in the 65th minute. After Gonzalez Pirez's long ball sent Vazquez near the end line, he dribbled right around Alex Crognale and fired low into the far corner that eluded Kempin for a 3-1 lead.
But Columbus answered six minutes later with what was officially ruled an own goal against Brad Guzan. Pedro Santos beat a pair of defenders before playing Waylon Francis in on goal. Francis had time to take two touches before firing toward goal, where it ripped off Guzan and into the back of the net. Just four minutes after that, the match was finally brought to a halt in the 75th minute (officially at 74:24) because of severe weather in the area.
Play resumed 50 minutes later, and Atlanta was able to see out the final 15 minutes of the match to advance to the quarterfinals. Tickets for that matchup will go on sale Thursday. Atlanta will face the winner of FC Cincinnati/Saint Louis FC, which is scheduled to be played tomorrow. Atlanta United (8-5-2, 26 points) returns to league action Wednesday, June 26 against Toronto FC at BMO Field (8:00 p.m. EST, FOX Sports South, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
Round of 16
Atlanta United 3, Columbus Crew SC 2
Shots: 13-11 Columbus
Shots on Target: 6-5 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 5-4 Columbus
Fouls committed: 22-12 Columbus
Clearances: 23-5 Atlanta
Possession: 51-49 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 80-77 Atlanta
ATL - Brandon Vazquez 5' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Miles Robinson (Ezequiel Barco) 14' [HIGHLIGHT]
CLB - David Accam (Luis Argudo) 40' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Brandon Vazquez (Leandro Gonzalez Pirez) 65' [HIGHLIGHT]
CLB - Brad Guzan (own goal) 71' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Justin Meram (yellow) 19'
CLB - Patrick Mullins (yellow) 42'
CLB - Alex Crognale (yellow) 51'
ATL - Leandro Gonzalez Pirez (yellow) 53'
CLB - Harrison Afful (yellow) 67'
CLB - David Guzman (yellow) 86'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Michael Parkhurst ©, Leandro González Pirez, Miles Robinson, Franco Escobar; Darlington Nagbe, Eric Remedi; Justin Meram (Brek Shea - 69'), Ezequiel Barco, Pity Martinez (Andrew Carleton - 75'); Brandon Vazquez (Florentin Pogba - 81').
Substitutes not used: Brendan Moore, Mikey Ambrose, Jeff Larentowicz, Romario Williams.
COLUMBUS CREW SC STARTING LINEUP
Jon Kempin; Hector Jimenez ©, Gaston Sauro, Alex Crognale, Harrison Afful (Waylon Francis - 70'); Artur, David Guzman; David Accam, Pedro Santos, Luis Argudo (Robinho - 82'); Patrick Mullins (J.J. Williams - 65').
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik, Ricardo Clarke, Niko Hansen, Aboubacar Keita.
Guido Gonzales Jr. (referee), Ian McKay (assistant), Tom Felice (assistant), James Duling (fourth).
Brandon Vazquez scored his sixth career goal in U.S. Open Cup play. He's also played in all six of the club's all-time USOC matches.
Vazquez is tied for first in goals scored (4) during this year's competition along with Darwin Quintero (Minnesota United) and Charles Boateng (Richmond Kickers); however, Boateng's team has been eliminated.
It was Miles Robinson's first career goal with Atlanta United. He had two career goals in USL play. One came on loan with Charleston Battery on July 27, 2017 and then with Atlanta United 2 on Oct. 4, 2018.
Atlanta reached the U.S. Open Cup First Quarterfinals for the first time in club history.
Atlanta is 5-1-1 across all competitions in its history against Columbus Crew SC and 3-1-0 at MAPFRE Stadium. It was the first matchup between the two teams in Open Cup play.
The match was called to a halt in the 75th minute (officially at 74:24) at 8:37 p.m. Play resumed at 9:27 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2019
- MNUFC Topples Reigning Open Cup Champ Houston in Round of 16 - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Advances to USOC Quarterfinals with 3-2 Win over Columbus - Atlanta United FC
- Houston's Open Cup Title Defense Ends with 3-2 Loss to Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 18, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign Kyle Adams and Carlos Small to Short-Term Agreements - Houston Dynamo
- Frisco Native and "The Voice" Season 16 Winner Maelyn Jarmon Added to National Soccer Hall of Fame Concert Lineup - FC Dallas
- #FCDvNM: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC - New England Revolution
- Telemundo 48 to Air Three 2019 Earthquakes MLS Matches - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Hosts New England in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes to Host Eighth Annual Wine and Dine Event August 25 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo US Open Cup Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Lodeiro, Antuna Among MLS Players Shining at International Tournaments - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Defeats Houston Dynamo 5-0
- Atlanta United Acquires Mo Adams from Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Houston Dynamo
- Brek Shea to Undergo Season-Ending Knee Surgery
- Atlanta United and Club America to Face off in Campeones Cup on August 14