Orlando City Hosts New England in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC continues its run in the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with a Round of 16 matchup against the New England Revolution on Wednesday. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. ET at Exploria Stadium with the match streamed on ESPN+.
Wednesday's match will mark the first between the Lions and New England in Open Cup play and the first at the newly named Exploria Stadium. Tickets for the Round of 16 matchup can be found here, available along the East sideline and in the Supporters' Section.
"Obviously we're excited to be able to compete in this Round of 16 match at home. Being in front of our great supporters gives us an advantage and we want to put our best foot forward for them," Orlando City Head Coach James O'Connor said. "New England has had a good run of form as of late, so it should be a very competitive contest."
The Lions earned a spot in the Round of 16 following a 3-1 victory on Wednesday over Memphis 901 FC of the USL Championship League. Sacha Kljestan opened the scoring in the 38th minute by converting from the penalty spot for his first goal in Open Cup play for City. Memphis responded with a goal in the 50th, but the Lions answered with another finish from Kljestan in the 55th and Robin Jansson's first goal for City in the 71st to earn a 3-1 victory and punch their ticket to the Round of 16.
New England fought their way to the Round of 16 in a gripping extra time win over New York Red Bulls. While New England's scoring opened with Juan Agudelo's early goal in the first minute of play, Teal Bunbury's last-minute efforts clinched the game for the Revolution. Bunbury scored the equalizer in the 85th minute, sending the Revolution to extra time where he scored another goal in the 109th minute to secure the win.
A City win on Wednesday would send the Club through to the Quarterfinals, which would match its best finish in the Club's five-year history, having reached the same round in both 2015 and 2018. Orlando would also host the Quarterfinal match against the winner of D.C. United and NYCFC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2019
- MNUFC Topples Reigning Open Cup Champ Houston in Round of 16 - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Advances to USOC Quarterfinals with 3-2 Win over Columbus - Atlanta United FC
- Houston's Open Cup Title Defense Ends with 3-2 Loss to Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 18, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign Kyle Adams and Carlos Small to Short-Term Agreements - Houston Dynamo
- Frisco Native and "The Voice" Season 16 Winner Maelyn Jarmon Added to National Soccer Hall of Fame Concert Lineup - FC Dallas
- #FCDvNM: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC - New England Revolution
- Telemundo 48 to Air Three 2019 Earthquakes MLS Matches - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Hosts New England in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes to Host Eighth Annual Wine and Dine Event August 25 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo US Open Cup Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Lodeiro, Antuna Among MLS Players Shining at International Tournaments - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.