Timbers Weekly Update: June 18, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers will play two home matches this week, beginning with a Round of 16 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup game against the LA Galaxy on Wednesday, June 19; kickoff is set for 8 p.m. (Pacific) on ESPN+. Facing a quick turnaround, the Timbers return to league play with a match against the Houston Dynamo on Saturday, June 22. Saturday's match kicks off at 8 p.m. (Pacific) and features a regional television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
The Timbers received a goal in each half from Brian Fernandez to earn a 2-1 win against Seattle Sounders FC at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma, Wash., in the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup on June 12, advancing to the Round of 16 for the sixth time in the last seven seasons. Fernandez tallied his second brace in all competitions since joining the Timbers, while Sebastián Blanco, Jeremy Ebobisse and Diego Valeri all recorded assists. Fernandez has tallied six goals in his first four matches across all competitions for the Timbers. He has scored in four consecutive games, registering a pair of braces during that span.
U.S. Open Cup history
Since 2013, Portland has eight wins against MLS opponents in U.S. Open Cup play, which is the third-most of any team in that time span. Additionally, in their last seven home games in the competition, the Timbers are 6-1 at Providence Park, outscoring their opponents 15-2. Wednesday's match against the Galaxy marks the third meeting in U.S. Open Cup play between the Timbers and the Galaxy, with the sides last meeting in the Round of 16 at Providence Park on June 15, 2018, as Portland earned a 1-0 win.
Saturday's match marks the 16th meeting in MLS regular-season play between Houston and Portland. The Timbers are 5-1-1 all-time at Providence Park against the Dynamo, outscoring Houston 15-9 in those matches. Portland has won three consecutive matches at home against the Dynamo, including a 2-1 win in the last match between the two sides at Providence Park on July 28, 2018. In the all-time regular-season series, Valeri has recorded six goals and five assists.
The Timbers travel for a road match against the Montreal Impact on Wednesday, June 26, at Stade Saputo. Beginning at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match will be broadcast on FOX 12 Oregon (KPTV) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2019
- MNUFC Topples Reigning Open Cup Champ Houston in Round of 16 - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Advances to USOC Quarterfinals with 3-2 Win over Columbus - Atlanta United FC
- Houston's Open Cup Title Defense Ends with 3-2 Loss to Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 18, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign Kyle Adams and Carlos Small to Short-Term Agreements - Houston Dynamo
- Frisco Native and "The Voice" Season 16 Winner Maelyn Jarmon Added to National Soccer Hall of Fame Concert Lineup - FC Dallas
- #FCDvNM: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC - New England Revolution
- Telemundo 48 to Air Three 2019 Earthquakes MLS Matches - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Hosts New England in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes to Host Eighth Annual Wine and Dine Event August 25 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo US Open Cup Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Lodeiro, Antuna Among MLS Players Shining at International Tournaments - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Acquire Defender Dario Zuparic
- Nashville SC Selects Defender Zarek Valentin No. 4 Overall in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft
- Portland to Host eMLS League Series Two in February
- Major League Soccer Terminates Brian Fernandez Contract
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Roster