Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution will travel to Florida to face Orlando City SC in the Round of 16 of the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, June 19 at Exploria Stadium in Orlando. The match kicks off at 7:30 p.m. ET and will be streamed live for subscribers on ESPN+.
Wednesday's contest will mark the 10th all-time meeting between New England and Orlando City SC, and their first in U.S. Open Cup play. The Revolution hold a 3-2-4 record against the 2015 expansion side, with a 0-2-3 mark in away matches. Overall, New England is 21-16-5 in the tournament, including an 8-11-2 mark in away matches and an 8-11-1 record against MLS opposition. Revolution Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena won the Open Cup in 1996 with D.C. United, while Orlando City Head Coach James O'Connor topped New England in the tournament once before, when his Louisville City FC side beat the Revolution in 2018 Fourth Round, 3-2.
New England advanced to the Round of 16 by defeating the New York Red Bulls, 3-2, after extra time in the Fourth Round at MSU Soccer Park in Montclair, N.J. Forward Juan Agudelo opened the scoring for the visitors, while Teal Bunbury's late heroics with an 85th-minute equalizer and game-winning goal in extra time after the Revs went down to 10 men sealed the win. Goalkeeper Matt Turner also played a pivotal role, coming up with a penalty save in the second half.
Following Wednesday's Open Cup match, New England will return to MLS regular season play with a two-match homestand against the Philadelphia Union on Wednesday, June 26 (7:00 p.m. ET), and the Houston Dynamo on Saturday, June 29 (7:30 p.m. ET). Both matches will air locally on NBC Sports Boston, 98.5 The Sports Hub, and 1260 AM Nossa Radio.
U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 at Orlando City SC
Date: Wednesday, June 19, 2019
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET
Location: Exploria Stadium (Orlando, Fla.)
TV: ESPN+ (Available to authenticated subscribers)
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
Here are some relevant storylines ahead of Wednesday's match at Orlando City SC. Click HERE to view the complete Revolution Game Notes for Wednesday. Official MLS Game Guides can be downloaded HERE.
- New England building on its 21-16-5 record in 42 total games in U.S. Open Cup competition, including an 8-11-2 mark in away matches and an 8-11-1 record against MLS opposition.
- The Revs playing their first-ever U.S. Open Cup matchup against Orlando City SC in the clubs' 10th overall meeting.
- Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena making his third appearance on the Revolution sideline. Arena is 2-0-0 across all competitions on the New England bench, beating the LA Galaxy, 2-1, in league play and the New York Red Bulls, 3-2, in the Fourth Round of the Open Cup.
- F Teal Bunbury scoring the seventh U.S. Open Cup goal of his Revolution career, tying Taylor Twellman for the most in franchise history. Bunbury has three goals in the team's last two games across all competitions, and tallied the game-winning strikes in both of them.
- M Diego Fagundez making his 17th career U.S. Open Cup appearance and remaining the all-time leader in Revs history for Open Cup games played.
- Bunbury, Fagundez, and Juan Agudelo breaking a three-way tie for career scoring by a Revolution player against Orlando. All three players own three goals and one assist apiece against the Lions.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2019
- MNUFC Topples Reigning Open Cup Champ Houston in Round of 16 - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Advances to USOC Quarterfinals with 3-2 Win over Columbus - Atlanta United FC
- Houston's Open Cup Title Defense Ends with 3-2 Loss to Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 18, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign Kyle Adams and Carlos Small to Short-Term Agreements - Houston Dynamo
- Frisco Native and "The Voice" Season 16 Winner Maelyn Jarmon Added to National Soccer Hall of Fame Concert Lineup - FC Dallas
- #FCDvNM: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC - New England Revolution
- Telemundo 48 to Air Three 2019 Earthquakes MLS Matches - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Hosts New England in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes to Host Eighth Annual Wine and Dine Event August 25 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo US Open Cup Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Lodeiro, Antuna Among MLS Players Shining at International Tournaments - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Cincinnati
- Gustavo Bou Scores in Debut as Revolution Top Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 4-0
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 2-2 Draw
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United