Elijah Hughes Leads Salt Lake City Stars Past Austin Spurs
ORLANDO - Elijah Hughes scored a team-high 20 points as the Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, took down the Austin Spurs 113-106 on Tuesday morning.
Led by Hughes, a Utah Jazz assignee, the Stars had a balanced scoring effort as seven different players scored in double figures. Dallas Mavericks two-way player Tyler Bey recorded his fourth double-double of the season with 18 points and 11 rebounds. Josh Green also made his NBA G League debut after being flex assigned from the Mavericks and finished with 16 points and seven rebounds.
Nine different players contributed points in a big first quarter for the Stars as they led 29-19 after the first period. The Spurs would fight back in the second quarter, erasing a Stars 13-point lead as the lead changed hands four times before the half. Salt Lake City would go to the locker room up 59-57 thanks in part to nine points in the second quarter from Green.
The Stars would build the lead back up to 12 by the end of the third quarter, holding the Spurs to just 19 points on 7-of-25 shooting in the third. Austin would come back again to cut the deficit to one point with 1:41 remaining in the fourth quarter, but the Stars would salt the game away as Bey and Hughes made 7-of-8 free throws down the stretch.
Austin was led by Robert Woodward II, who finished with a game-high 25 points along with 10 rebounds. Jaylen Morris scored 24 off the bench for the Spurs on 10-of-13 shooting. The Spurs outscored the Stars 70-32 in the paint but shot just 6-of-29 from deep.
The Stars next game will come on Thursday against the Westchester Knicks. Tipoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. (MT) and is available to be streamed on ESPN+. The Stars will then face G League Ignite, featuring several top 2021 NBA draft prospects, on Friday at 1 p.m. on ESPN2.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 23, 2021
- Warriors Beat Wolves and Earn Fifth Straight Win, 108-95 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Wolves Falter in Second Half, Lose to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Fort Wayne's Comeback Attempt Falls Short against Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Porter Jr. Scores 28, Vipers Fall to Greensboro 109-115 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Brazdeikis Posts 31 Points and Knicks Knock off Magic, 123-113 - Westchester Knicks
- Spurs Toppled by Stars - Austin Spurs
- Warriors Acquire Jacob Evans IIi - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Elijah Hughes Leads Salt Lake City Stars Past Austin Spurs - Salt Lake City Stars
- NBA G League News & Notes: February 23 - G League
- Warriors Serve Knicks First Loss of the Season - Westchester Knicks
- "BBall Paul" Doing It All - Delaware Blue Coats
- Hustle Fall in Final Seconds Following Game-Winning Shot from Raptors 905 - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake City Stars Stories
- Salt Lake City Stars Complete 2021 NBA G League Season
- Salt Lake City Stars Comeback Falls Short against Magic
- Yogi Ferrell Scores 29 in Salt Lake City Stars Victory
- Salt Lake City Stars Comeback Falls Short against Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Salt Lake City Stars Shine Bright against NBA G League Ignite