Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 10, 2019
The San Jose Earthquakes battled to a 2-2 draw against FC Dallas on Saturday afternoon at Avaya Stadium. Forward Chris Wondolowski, who was today announced as MLS Player of the Month for the month of May, tallied a goal in the 46th minute, improving his scoring record over his last four matches to eight goals and his all-time scoring record to 152 goals. Midfielder Magnus Eriksson and defender Tommy Thompson were each named to the MLS Team of the Week for their respective performances.
The Earthquakes host Sacramento Republic FC in the Fourth Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday, June 11 in which San Jose looks to advance to the Round of 16 for the third time in the last five years. Tuesday's match is set for 7:15 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on ESPN+.
San Jose is currently on a four-match unbeaten streak (2-0-2) dating back to May 18. It marks their second unbeaten streak of four or more games already this season. The Quakes' unbeaten streak at home is at five matches dating back to April 6.
Forward Chris Wondolowski tallied his eighth goal in 2019. All eight goals were scored in his past four matches, having scored at least one in every game.
Defenders Tommy Thompson and Marcos Lopez were each credited with an assist on Eriksson's goal. It marked Thompson's fifth assist of his MLS career, and the first for Marcos Lopez since joining the league in January.
Open Cup Action
The Quakes hold a 17-14 all-time record in the U.S. Open Cup, including a 15-3 record against non-MLS teams. The Earthquakes look to advance to the Round of 16 for the third time in the last five years.
San Jose and Sacramento Republic FC have met twice prior in U.S. Open Cup play. After earning a 2-1 victory at Kezar Stadium in 2014, the Quakes then erased a two-goal deficit to tie the game and later win on penalty kicks in 2015. Both matches were in the Fourth Round of the competition.
Forward Chris Wondolowski has scored two goals in San Jose's previous two U.S. Open Cup matchups against Sacramento Republic FC. He can help lead the team to a third consecutive win over Sacramento in Open Cup action.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
San Jose Earthquakes Homegrown Player Cade Cowell scored in his first professional start and debut for Reno 1868 FC in Saturday afternoon's road match against San Antonio FC at Toyota Stadium. The 15-year-old forward scored in the 17th minute to give Reno a 2-0 lead, but the visitors were unable to maintain their lead and saw their four-match unbeaten streak in league play come to end, falling 3-2.
Forward Corey Hertzog tallied the first goal of the match in the ninth minute, improving his goal total to six since joining Reno in February. Earthquakes goalkeeper Matt Bersano was featured in the Starting XI and midfielder Gilbert Fuentes entered the match as a substitute in the 71st minute.
Prior to Saturday's match, Reno 1868 FC forward Brian Brown and defender Duke Lacroix were named to the USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 13. Brown (2) and Lacroix (1) scored a combined total three goals in Reno's 4-0 shutout victory over rival Las Vegas Lights FC.
Reno look to build on their six-match unbeaten streak at home when they host LA Galaxy II on Saturday, June 15 (7:15 p.m. PT) in which they celebrate U.S. Women's National Team Night. Saturday's match will feature fireworks and a soccer ball giveaway. Tickets for Saturday night's match at Greater Nevada Field can be purchased here.
The Quakes U-12 Boys' Academy went 5-0-1 in weekend matchups against the EBU Bay Oaks and Star Academy FC.
The U-12s outscored the EBU Bay Oaks 10-2 over a two-match series and picked up a win (6-1) and a draw (1-1) against Star Academy FC. The U-13s (4-1) and U-14s (3-0) tallied two more victories over the EBU Bay Oaks for the Boys' Academy.
The 2019 Summer Showcase and Playoffs is just around the corner for the Boys' and Girls' Academy teams. The competition is scheduled to run from June 17-29 in Oceanside, CA. More information can be found here.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 10, 2019
- Ocampo-Chavez and Rogers Called into U.S. U-23 Summer Training Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Travels to Face Real Salt Lake in the Fourth Round of the U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday, June 11 - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 10, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow Night - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Host New England in Fourth Round Open Cup Match - New York Red Bulls
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Ilsinho Named MLS Player of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Ilsinho Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Charleston Battery - Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dynamo Sign FW Michael Salazar from RGV FC - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Transfers Midfielder Andrehorta to SC Braga - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Month - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 10, 2019 - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Acquire Targeted Allocation Money in Trade with Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Host Real Valladolid C.F. in International Friendly
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 15, 2019
- Earthquakes Loan Defender Jimmy Ockford to Nashville SC
- Earthquakes take club record 32 shots in victory, surge to fourth place