Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 10, 2019
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire will begin play in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup this week when the team travels to face USL Championship side Saint Louis FC in the fourth round of the tournament. Scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m. CT on Tuesday, June 11, the game will be played at Harlen C. Hunter Stadium at Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Mo. The match will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
Tuesday's game will mark the second all-time meeting between the Fire and Saint Louis FC in the U.S. Open Cup. The two clubs previously met in the 2017 iteration of the tournament, with the Fire capturing a 1-0 fourth round win at Saint Louis.
Entering this year's tournament, the Fire, who hold a 45-15-6 all-time record in the annual tournament, are tied with Seattle Sounders FC and Sporting Kansas City for the most U.S. Open Cup championships (four) for an MLS club. In last year's tournament, the Men in Red advanced to the U.S. Open Cup semifinal for the 13th time in Club history, making its sixth semifinal appearance in the last eight seasons.
Saint Louis FC enter Tuesday's match sitting in ninth place in the USL Championship with a 5-2-4 record to start the season. In its most recent match, Saint Louis suffered its second loss in 2019 after falling 2-1 on the road to Hartford Athletic at Rentschler Field on Saturday, June 8. In U.S. Open Cup play, Saint Louis has won its first two matches in this year's tournament. The USL Championship side defeated USL League 2 club Des Moines Menace 1-1 (3-1 on penalty kicks) in a second round contest on May 15 at Cownie Soccer Park in Des Moines, Iowa. The Club then posted a 3-1 win over USL League 1 side Forward Madison FC in a third round game on May 29 at World Wide Technology Soccer Park in Fenton, Mo.
The Men in Red will return to league play on Saturday, June 22 when the team hosts Real Salt Lake at SeatGeek Stadium. Set to begin at 7:00 p.m. CT, the match will be broadcast live on ESPN+ and transmitted locally on Univision Radio WRTO AM 1200.
Eight Chicago Fire Players Nominated to the 2019 MLS All-Star Ballot
This year's 2019 MLS All-Star ballot features eight Fire players, including forwards Nemanja Nikolic, CJ Sapong, midfielders Nicolás Gaitán, Aleksandar Katai, Dax McCarty and Bastian Schweinsteiger, defender Johan Kappelhof and goalkeeper David Ousted.
Fan voting for the 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI presented by Target is currently underway at MLSsoccer.com, through the free MLS app and via the EA SPORTS "More Than a Vote" Challenge. Fan voting will run until 1:59 a.m. CT on June 14.
The MLS All-Stars are set to take on 10-time Spanish champions Atlético de Madrid at Exploria Stadium in Orlando, Florida on July 31 in the 2019 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target. The summer showcase will air on FS1 and UniMás domestically as well as across more than 170 countries globally.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 10, 2019
- Ocampo-Chavez and Rogers Called into U.S. U-23 Summer Training Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Travels to Face Real Salt Lake in the Fourth Round of the U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday, June 11 - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 10, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow Night - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Host New England in Fourth Round Open Cup Match - New York Red Bulls
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Ilsinho Named MLS Player of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Ilsinho Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Charleston Battery - Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dynamo Sign FW Michael Salazar from RGV FC - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Transfers Midfielder Andrehorta to SC Braga - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Month - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 10, 2019 - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Announces Partnership with Captain Morgan
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Named ESPN's Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club and Village of Bridgeview Agree to Amended Stadium Lease
- =?windows-1250?Q?Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: July 9 - July 13, 2019