Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution will travel south to face the New York Red Bulls in the Fourth Round of the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday, June 11 at MSU Soccer Park on the campus of Montclair State University in New Jersey. The match kicks off at 7:30 p.m. ET and will be streamed live for subscribers on ESPN+.
This will mark the fifth all-time U.S. Open Cup meeting between New England and New York, as the Revolution own a 1-3-0 all-time record in the tournament series. The sides most recently met in the 2017 edition of the domestic cup, with New York claiming a 1-0 win in the Quarterfinal. The Revs and Red Bulls also met in the 2013 Fourth Round (a 4-2 win for New England), the 2010 Play-in Round (a 3-0 win for New York), and the 2003 Quarterfinal (a 2-1 win for New York).
Overall, the Revs are 20-16-5 in 41 total games in the competition, including a 7-11-2 mark in away matches and a 7-11-1 record against MLS opposition. In 2007, New England defeated FC Dallas in the Open Cup Final, 3-2, to secure the team's first Open Cup trophy. The club also reached the Final in 2016, but fell to FC Dallas. Most recently in 2018, the Revolution lost to Louisville City FC in the U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round.
Dating back to 1914, the U.S. Open Cup is the oldest cup competition in United States soccer and is among the oldest in the world. Open to all affiliated amateur and professional teams in the United States, the annual U.S. Open Cup is a single-elimination tournament. The winner of the U.S. Open Cup receives a bid to the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League, an annual tournament between the top clubs from North America, Central America, and The Caribbean. Concacaf Champions League's winner is awarded a spot in the FIFA Club World Cup.
Following Tuesday's Open Cup match, New England will return to MLS regular season play at home on June 26 when the Revs host the Philadelphia Union. That match begins at 7:00 p.m. ET at Gillette Stadium and will air locally on NBC Sports Boston, 98.5 The Sports Hub, and 1260 AM Nossa Radio.
U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round at New York Red Bulls
Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2019
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET
Location: MSU Soccer Park (Montclair, N.J.)
TV: ESPN+ (Subscribers Only)
Talent: Max Bretos (play-by-play), Charlie Davies (color commentary)
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
Here are some relevant storylines ahead of Tuesday's match at New York Red Bulls. Click HERE to view the complete Revolution Game Notes for Tuesday. Official MLS Game Guides can be downloaded HERE.
- New England building on its 20-16-5 record in 41 total games in U.S. Open Cup competition, including a 7-11-2 mark in away matches and a 7-11-1 record against MLS opposition.
- The Revs improving a 1-3-0 all-time record against the New York Red Bulls in the U.S. Open Cup.
- Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena coaching against his former club and making his second appearance on the Revolution sideline. Arena was head coach of the Red Bulls from 2006-07.
- M Diego Fagundez making his 16th-ever U.S. Open Cup appearance and remaining the all-time leader in Revs history for Open Cup games played.
- F Teal Bunbury scoring his fourth-ever Open Cup goal-the third most in Revolution franchise history.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 10, 2019
- Ocampo-Chavez and Rogers Called into U.S. U-23 Summer Training Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Travels to Face Real Salt Lake in the Fourth Round of the U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday, June 11 - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 10, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow Night - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Host New England in Fourth Round Open Cup Match - New York Red Bulls
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Ilsinho Named MLS Player of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Ilsinho Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Charleston Battery - Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dynamo Sign FW Michael Salazar from RGV FC - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Transfers Midfielder Andrehorta to SC Braga - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Month - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 10, 2019 - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Academy Announces College Commitments
- Revolution Midfielder Diego Fagundez and eMLS Competitor John Oliveira to Compete in eMLS Tournament Special
- Patriots and Revolution Launch Special Edition of Read Between the Lines Program
- Gillette Stadium to Host Series of Blood Drives
- NBC Sports Boston to Re-Air Classic New England Revolution Matches