Earthquakes, Hunger at Home Partner to Distribute Meals
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes are partnering with Hunger at Home to help feed those in need here in Silicon Valley.
Hunger at Home is a leader in food collection and distribution, working with local convention centers, hotels, and sports stadiums to collect excess food and goods and distribute through its large network of nonprofit partners. To date, Hunger at Home has distributed more than 3.5 million meals as well as various important household items.
"We are extremely proud and excited to continue building on our partnership with Hunger at Home," said Earthquakes Director of Community Relations Rahul Devaskar. "They have a longstanding reputation of keeping food out of landfills and supporting in-need members of our community. Hunger at Home is also a founding member of our Pledge 74 campaign and have helped us identify the areas where our efforts would make the most impact."
The partnership was kicked off last week with ~120 families picking up semi-prepared meals in a COVID-compliant, drive-through format on Earthquakes Way, immediately adjacent to Earthquakes Stadium. In addition to serving as the host venue for the event, the Earthquakes also provided volunteers through their Pledge 74 campaign, which has contributed more than $100,000 and 500 hours of community service in the fight against food insecurity.
Last week served as a pilot for future events at Earthquakes Stadium, which is expected to host two distribution events per month that may accommodate as many as 200 families each.
When fans can safely return to watch the team play at Earthquakes Stadium, Hunger at Home will become the official gleaner of the Quakes, collecting unused food following each match and redistributing to those in need.
Hunger at Home will also be hosting their Bridge the Gap Gala: Drive Thru Edition at Earthquakes Stadium on Saturday, October 24. The event runs from 2-5 p.m. and features many family-friendly activities, such as magicians and live bands, with all families taking home a ready-to-cook gourmet meal and paired wine.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 21, 2020
- Graham Zusi Undergoes Successful Foot Surgery - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes, Hunger at Home Partner to Distribute Meals - San Jose Earthquakes
- The Kids Can Play: Youngsters Making History Across MLS - MLS Week 20 News & Notes - MLS
- By the Numbers: Another Battle for Florida - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Signs 20-Year-Old Forward Wilson Harris - Sporting Kansas City
- Cristian Penilla Undergoes Surgery to Repair Left Foot Fracture - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Fan Contest to Design New Commemorative Patch for Nordecke Season Ticket Members at New Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville SC Acquires Homegrown Winger Handwalla Bwana from Seattle Sounders FC - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Trade Handwalla Bwana to Nashville SC for Jimmy Medranda - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Rely on Resiliency as Team Heads into Final Regular Season Stretch - Colorado Rapids
- What Makes Midfielder Cole Bassett a Top Prospect and Which European Clubs Are Interested - Colorado Rapids
- New York City Soccer Initiative Unveils New 2020 Mini-Soccer Pitches with Virtual Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony - New York City FC
- Inter Miami CF Will Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Falls to Nashville SC 3-0 - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC Scores Three Goals, Beats FC Dallas at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Sign Shea Salinas to New Contract
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski Added to USMNT Camp
- Earthquakes Midfielder Jackson Yueill Added to USMNT Camp
- Earthquakes Sign Tommy Thompson to New Multi-Year Contract
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Club Award Winners