Sounders FC Trade Handwalla Bwana to Nashville SC for Jimmy Medranda
Defender / midfielder Jimmy Medranda with Sporting Kansas City
(Seattle Sounders FC, Credit: Peter Aiken / USA Today Sports Images)
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today acquired defender / midfielder Jimmy Medranda and a potential total of $250,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) from Nashville SC in exchange for midfielder Handwalla Bwana. The 26-year-old Colombian brings nine seasons of professional experience to the Rave Green, having represented both Nashville and Sporting Kansas City in Major League Soccer. Sounders FC is guaranteed $225,000 of GAM as part of the agreement, and can receive an additional $25,000 should Bwana hit certain performance-based thresholds for Nashville. Seattle retains a percentage of any further transfer fees should Bwana be transferred outside of MLS.
"We would like to thank Handwalla for his contributions to our organization, and we wish him success in the next step of his journey with Nashville," said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "We are pleased to welcome Jimmy to the club, and we look forward to working him into our squad as quickly as possible. Additionally, the General Allocation Money being acquired as part of this agreement gives us valuable roster flexibility for the future."
Medranda is able to join his new teammates once he finishes a mandatory quarantine period under local government and MLS health and safety protocols.
The left-footer joined the league in 2013, winning MLS Cup in his rookie season with Sporting Kansas City. Medranda also won the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in 2015 and 2017. He spent every season of his MLS tenure with SKC - including two USL loan stints - before being selected by Nashville SC in last year's MLS Expansion Draft. He has a total of 99 MLS appearances from 2013-2019 (including MLS Cup Playoffs), scoring five goals. Prior to his time in MLS, Medranda spent 2012-2013 with Colombia's Deportivo Pereira, making 16 appearances scoring two goals in all competitions.
"I look forward to bringing Jimmy into the club once he has cleared his mandatory quarantine period, and I believe his versatility can help the team," said Sounders FC Head Coach Brian Schmetzer. "We know that Jimmy has played a few positions in his career, and that is helpful to us as we approach the stretch run of our season. I plan on working him into the attacking group by playing him up a line, and we are excited to see the energy he brings to that role."
Bwana appeared in five matches for the Rave Green during the 2020 campaign after featuring in 15 contests last season. A Homegrown Player for Sounders FC and a product of both the University of Washington and Ballard High School, Bwana concludes his time in Seattle with 1,234 minutes played in the regular season, including four goals and three assists.
Sounders FC's next match looms large in the race for the 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs, as Brian Schmetzer's side welcomes the Portland Timbers to CenturyLink Field in a nationally televised showdown on Thursday, October 22 (7:30 p.m. PT / FS1, 1090 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM). Seattle remains atop the Western Conference with 31 points, narrowly ahead of second-place Portland. The Rave Green are level on points with Portland but ahead on goal difference.
TRANSACTION: Sounders FC acquires defender / midfielder Jimmy Medranda from Nashville SC in exchange for midfielder Handwalla Bwana and $225,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) on October 21, 2020. Sounders FC could receive an additional $25,000 in GAM, if Bwana meets certain performance-based metrics.
Name: Jimmy Medranda
Position: Defender / midfielder
Jersey Number: 94
Born: February 7, 1994 in Mosquera, Colombia
Hometown: Mosquera, Colombia
Acquired: Acquired by Sounders FC from Nashville SC in exchange for Handwalla Bwana and $225,000 in General Allocation Money
Images from this story
Defender / midfielder Jimmy Medranda with Sporting Kansas City
(Peter Aiken / USA Today Sports Images)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 21, 2020
- Graham Zusi Undergoes Successful Foot Surgery - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes, Hunger at Home Partner to Distribute Meals - San Jose Earthquakes
- The Kids Can Play: Youngsters Making History Across MLS - MLS Week 20 News & Notes - MLS
- By the Numbers: Another Battle for Florida - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Signs 20-Year-Old Forward Wilson Harris - Sporting Kansas City
- Cristian Penilla Undergoes Surgery to Repair Left Foot Fracture - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Fan Contest to Design New Commemorative Patch for Nordecke Season Ticket Members at New Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows - Houston Dynamo FC
- Nashville SC Acquires Homegrown Winger Handwalla Bwana from Seattle Sounders FC - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Trade Handwalla Bwana to Nashville SC for Jimmy Medranda - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Rely on Resiliency as Team Heads into Final Regular Season Stretch - Colorado Rapids
- What Makes Midfielder Cole Bassett a Top Prospect and Which European Clubs Are Interested - Colorado Rapids
- New York City Soccer Initiative Unveils New 2020 Mini-Soccer Pitches with Virtual Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony - New York City FC
- Inter Miami CF Will Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Falls to Nashville SC 3-0 - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC Scores Three Goals, Beats FC Dallas at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - June 19, 2021
- Tacoma Ends Road Stretch with 4-2 Loss at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Sounders FC Announces Public On-Sale for 2021 Partial Season Ticket Packs and Single-Match Tickets
- Tacoma Falls 3-0 at Phoenix Rising FC
- Sounders FC and OL Reign Announce Doubleheader Matchday at Lumen Field this August