Cristian Penilla Undergoes Surgery to Repair Left Foot Fracture
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution forward Cristian Penilla underwent successful surgery to fixate a left foot fracture on Wednesday, Oct. 21. The procedure was performed by Dr. George Theodore at Mass General West in Waltham, Mass. Penilla's expected recovery time is two-to-three months.
Penilla suffered the injury in the first half of New England's 2-1 away win against New York City FC on Oct. 11. The 29-year-old made 17 appearances with 10 starts in 2020, his third MLS campaign, and his four assists on the year currently lead the Revolution. The Esmeraldas, Ecuador native joined New England from Liga MX side C.F. Pachuca ahead of the 2018 campaign and owns 80 career appearances, 18 goals, and 19 assists in the regular season, with one postseason start.
With four games remaining in the regular season, the fifth-place Revolution will continue the push toward the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with an away match at Nashville SC on Friday night, Oct. 23. The 8:30 p.m. ET match at Nissan Stadium airs locally on NBC Sports Boston, 98.5 The Sports Hub, and 1260 AM Nossa Radio USA.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 21, 2020
- Graham Zusi Undergoes Successful Foot Surgery - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes, Hunger at Home Partner to Distribute Meals - San Jose Earthquakes
- The Kids Can Play: Youngsters Making History Across MLS - MLS Week 20 News & Notes - MLS
- By the Numbers: Another Battle for Florida - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Signs 20-Year-Old Forward Wilson Harris - Sporting Kansas City
- Cristian Penilla Undergoes Surgery to Repair Left Foot Fracture - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Fan Contest to Design New Commemorative Patch for Nordecke Season Ticket Members at New Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville SC Acquires Homegrown Winger Handwalla Bwana from Seattle Sounders FC - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Trade Handwalla Bwana to Nashville SC for Jimmy Medranda - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Rely on Resiliency as Team Heads into Final Regular Season Stretch - Colorado Rapids
- What Makes Midfielder Cole Bassett a Top Prospect and Which European Clubs Are Interested - Colorado Rapids
- New York City Soccer Initiative Unveils New 2020 Mini-Soccer Pitches with Virtual Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony - New York City FC
- Inter Miami CF Will Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Falls to Nashville SC 3-0 - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC Scores Three Goals, Beats FC Dallas at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Tajon Buchanan Named 2020 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year
- Revolution Advance to Eastern Conference Final with 3-1 Win against Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC
- Revolution Advance to Eastern Conference Semifinal with 2-0 Win against Philadelphia Union
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union