By the Numbers: Another Battle for Florida
11 - Goals galore
The return of an MLS Florida Derby for the first time since 2001 has seen intense competition, dramatic moments, and a lot of goals. Orlando City and Inter Miami have scored 11 goals combined in their three games this season, with the Lions notching six and the South Floridians tallying five. Orlando has scored exactly two goals in each of their three games against Miami. Nani has scored twice, while Chris Mueller, Mauricio Pereyra, and Daryl Dike have each scored once (their sixth was a Miami own goal).
4 - Matheus victims
It took some time, but new Orlando City striker Matheus AiÃ¡s is cleared and available for selection this Saturday in Fort Lauderdale. AiÃ¡s is coming off a headline-grabbing run in the 2019/20 Copa del Rey, where he led second-division side Mirandés on a Cinderella run to the semifinals. AiÃ¡s scored against four La Liga teams during the tournament, including Celta Vigo, Real Sociedad, Villarreal, and a brace against Europa League champions Sevilla.
25 - Games between PKs
Nani scored a penalty kick on Sunday night against the New York Red Bulls, ending a rather startling dry spell from the spot. Orlando City had not been awarded a penalty in 25 consecutive regular season games, their last coming on August 17 against Minnesota United. Orlando was given a spot kick in the MLS is Back quarterfinals against LAFC which was saved by Kenneth Vermeer, meaning it had been 29 games in all competitions since Orlando had converted.
555 - Restart and restart again
Inter Miami is tied for the league lead with Atlanta United with 280 fouls won this season, but unlike the Five Stripes, they also commit a ton-they rank second behind NYCFC with 275 fouls committed. This means there have been 555 free kicks in Inter Miami games this year, an average of just over 29 a game, the most in MLS this year. Orlando City ranks 11th in fouls conceded and 8th in fouls won, averaging 25.5 free kicks per match.
1.5 - FAIRWINDS Credit Union
Score up to 1.5% cash back and LionNation points when you use your FAIRWINDS Orlando City Visa® or Orlando Pride Visa® on game day purchases and everyday essentials. Apply today and get purple carded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 21, 2020
- Graham Zusi Undergoes Successful Foot Surgery - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes, Hunger at Home Partner to Distribute Meals - San Jose Earthquakes
- The Kids Can Play: Youngsters Making History Across MLS - MLS Week 20 News & Notes - MLS
- By the Numbers: Another Battle for Florida - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Signs 20-Year-Old Forward Wilson Harris - Sporting Kansas City
- Cristian Penilla Undergoes Surgery to Repair Left Foot Fracture - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Fan Contest to Design New Commemorative Patch for Nordecke Season Ticket Members at New Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville SC Acquires Homegrown Winger Handwalla Bwana from Seattle Sounders FC - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Trade Handwalla Bwana to Nashville SC for Jimmy Medranda - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Rely on Resiliency as Team Heads into Final Regular Season Stretch - Colorado Rapids
- What Makes Midfielder Cole Bassett a Top Prospect and Which European Clubs Are Interested - Colorado Rapids
- New York City Soccer Initiative Unveils New 2020 Mini-Soccer Pitches with Virtual Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony - New York City FC
- Inter Miami CF Will Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Falls to Nashville SC 3-0 - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC Scores Three Goals, Beats FC Dallas at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City Exercises Options on 12 Players Following 2020 MLS Campaign
- Orlando City SC Forward Dom Dwyer to Enter Free Agency
- Orlando City SC Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra Agrees to Contract Extension
- Orlando City SC Executes Permanent Transfer for Antonio Carlos, Defender Signs New Contract
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team