Earthquakes Acquire Cristian Espinoza on Permanent Transfer
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has permanently acquired Cristian Espinoza from Spain's Villarreal CF by way of a club-record transfer fee and signed him to a multi-year Designated Player contract.
"Cristian was a very important player for us this year," said Earthquakes head coach Matias Almeyda. "His qualities are not easily replicated and I'm happy he will continue with us."
Espinoza, 24, became the Earthquakes' first newcomer since 2008 to win the Offensive Player of the Year award after finishing the season with two goals and a team-best 13 assists. Espinoza was just the sixth Quakes player to record 13+ assists in a single season and the first since 2012.
The native of Buenos Aires, Argentina was widely considered one the top newcomers in all of Major League Soccer in 2019. He ranked sixth league-wide in assists and tied for third in game-winning assists (5), while also finishing top-10 in dribbles per game (3rd; 2.5), key passes per game (8th; 2.8) and crosses per game (10th; 1.5), per WhoScored.
"We're incredibly excited to make Cristian Espinoza a centerpiece of our team moving forward," said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli. "He embraces the spirit of serving his teammates like few do whether it be in front of goal or when in need of support. He had a tremendous impact on our club as well as our fans in 2019 and made it clear throughout our talks with Villarreal that he wanted to play for San Jose and San Jose only. For this reason, I want to thank Cristian for his commitment to our club as well as our Board of Directors for their support and investment in the direction we're headed."
Espinoza averaged 0.46 assists per 90 minutes in MLS play, higher than New England's Carles Gil, Seattle's Nicolas Lodeiro and Toronto's Alejandro Pozuelo. Espinoza also assisted on six goals scored by Chris Wondolowski, tied for second most by any tandem in MLS.
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes acquire M Cristian Espinoza on a permanent transfer from Spain's Villarreal CF and sign him to a multi-year Designated Player contract.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 11, 2019
- BBVA Stadium Installs New High-Definition LED Video Displays from Daktronics - Houston Dynamo
- NWSL Teams, Players Raise over $45,000 for Orlando-Based Non-Profit Libby's Legacy - Orlando City SC
- Inaugural 2019 adidas MLS College Showcase to Scout Top College Prospects December 13-15 in Raleigh, N.C. - MLS
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule for 25th Season in MLS - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Signs First eMLS Player in Club History - Los Angeles FC
- Revolution Re-Sign John Oliveira as Club's eMLS Competitor - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Sacha Kljestan - LA Galaxy
- Impact Opens Training Camp on January 14 in Montreal - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Acquire Cristian Espinoza on Permanent Transfer - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Signs No. 4 Ranked esports Athlete Paulo Neto - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Add George Adamou to eMLS Team - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.