Atlanta United Signs No. 4 Ranked esports Athlete Paulo Neto
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed elite Brazilian esports athlete Paulo Neto to represent the club as its eMLS player for the 2020 season. The 16-year-old is currently the No. 4 ranked PlayStation FIFA player in the world on the EA SPORTS FIFA 20 Global Series PlayStation leaderboard after finishing as a console finalist in the most recent FUT Champions Cup Stage 2 tournament in Bucharest, Romania.
"Research shows that esports is one of the fastest-growing sectors in all of sports, and FIFA in particular is one of the most popular avenues for new fans to learn about Atlanta United and Mercedes-Benz Stadium," said Atlanta United's Vice President of Business Operations Catie Griggs. "Not only does Paulo Neto immediately put us into the elite tier of esports on a global level, he also follows our first-team model of finding the best up-and-coming talent in the world to represent Atlanta United. We are thrilled to have him as part of the team for the 2020 season."
Neto joins the club from Brazilian esports powerhouse SPQR, and is one of the most exciting young athletes in esports. On top of his most recent performance in Romania, he finished in the top 4 in the 2019 FUT Champions Cup in Atlanta and was a finalist in the Gothia e-Cup in 2018. He is also a three-time Pernambuco champion and a two-time ParaÃba champion, both regional tournaments in Brazil, and was selected to the Brazilian national team after being crowned the PlayStation champion of the country last year.
Neto will represent the club in the 2020 eMLS season, as well as in ensuing Global Series events, the inaugural e-Copa Libertadores, the Global Series Playoffs and the FIFA eWorld Cup, should he qualify for the event. Due to his prior registration with SPQR, he will compete for SPQR in the eClubs tournament and as a free agent in Global Series events through February 2020, then will fully represent Atlanta United. He will compete as Atlanta United, however, for the entire eMLS season, starting with eMLS League Series One in Philadelphia on Jan. 10. Click here for more information on the upcoming eMLS season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 11, 2019
- BBVA Stadium Installs New High-Definition LED Video Displays from Daktronics - Houston Dynamo
- NWSL Teams, Players Raise over $45,000 for Orlando-Based Non-Profit Libby's Legacy - Orlando City SC
- Inaugural 2019 adidas MLS College Showcase to Scout Top College Prospects December 13-15 in Raleigh, N.C. - MLS
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule for 25th Season in MLS - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Signs First eMLS Player in Club History - Los Angeles FC
- Revolution Re-Sign John Oliveira as Club's eMLS Competitor - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Sacha Kljestan - LA Galaxy
- Impact Opens Training Camp on January 14 in Montreal - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Acquire Cristian Espinoza on Permanent Transfer - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Signs No. 4 Ranked esports Athlete Paulo Neto - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Add George Adamou to eMLS Team - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Motagua
- Atlanta United Draws FC Motagua 1-1 in Leg One of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League
- Atlanta United Signs Phillip Goodrum to Short-Term Agreement
- Atlanta United Promotes Liam Curran to First Team Goalkeeper Coach