NWSL Teams, Players Raise over $45,000 for Orlando-Based Non-Profit Libby's Legacy
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando Pride and the Chicago Red Stars today announced that a total of $45,146 was raised through the league-wide initiative to benefit Libby's Legacy, an Orlando-based non-profit selected by Pride defender Toni Pressley.
Pressley, 29, was diagnosed with breast cancer in July of this year and underwent surgery a month later to remove the cancer from her body. She returned to the pitch just two months later in the Pride's season finale against Reign FC on October 12 - a night that also served as the Club's first ever Breast Cancer Awareness Match.
In a rallying cry for Pressley and those impacted by breast cancer, teams and players of the NWSL organized a league-wide auction to benefit Libby's Legacy. The auction included autographed jerseys, cleats, and unique items such as player-created art and signed books. 2019 FIFA Women's Player of the Year Megan Rapinoe, two-time FIFA Women's World Cup Champion Alex Morgan, 2019 NWSL Golden Boot Winner Sam Kerr and six-time FIFA World Player of the Year Marta were just a select few to donate autographed items to the cause.
In addition, specialty merchandise was created as well as a unique ticket offer with a portion of proceeds dedicated to Libby's Legacy.
Since 2007, Libby's Legacy has provided over 7,000 breast health services and diagnosed/helped navigate over 155 breast cancer patients, many through the charity's partnership with Orlando Health and the Orlando Health UF Health Cancer Center. Orlando Health is the Official and Exclusive Healthcare Partner of the Orlando Pride.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 11, 2019
- BBVA Stadium Installs New High-Definition LED Video Displays from Daktronics - Houston Dynamo
- NWSL Teams, Players Raise over $45,000 for Orlando-Based Non-Profit Libby's Legacy - Orlando City SC
- Inaugural 2019 adidas MLS College Showcase to Scout Top College Prospects December 13-15 in Raleigh, N.C. - MLS
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule for 25th Season in MLS - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Signs First eMLS Player in Club History - Los Angeles FC
- Revolution Re-Sign John Oliveira as Club's eMLS Competitor - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Sacha Kljestan - LA Galaxy
- Impact Opens Training Camp on January 14 in Montreal - Club de Foot Montreal
- Earthquakes Acquire Cristian Espinoza on Permanent Transfer - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Signs No. 4 Ranked esports Athlete Paulo Neto - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Add George Adamou to eMLS Team - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.