Eagles Break CHL Shorthanded Goals Record
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz.- The Colorado Eagles broke the Central Hockey League record with their 28th shorthanded goal of the season Friday night against the Arizona Sundogs. Left wing Seth Leonard skated in for an unassisted breakaway goal at the 1:41 mark of the second period to break the 13-year old record.
The Dallas Freeze set the record in the 1993-94 season when they scored 27 shorthanded goals. The Eagles now hold the record currently standing at 28 shorthanded goals although they have 14 more games before the end of the regular season. Riley Nelson leads the Central Hockey league with eight shorthanded goals and Ed McGrane is in third place in the league currently with six. The next closest team to the Eagles is the Tulsa Oilers who have 18 shorthanded goals this season. Prior to this year Eagles had a total of 34 shorthanded goals in their first three seasons. Their previous record was 12 goals in a single season in which they set in each of their first two seasons. Among all professional leagues in North America, the Eagles record stands third. The National Hockey League and United Hockey League records are 36 goals in a season while the American Hockey League record is 26 and the East Coast Hockey League record is 24 goals.
The Eagles are currently in first place in the Central Hockey League with a record of 37-13-0 for 74 points. They will play the Arizona Sundogs Saturday night at the Tim's Toyota Center in Prescott Valley, Arizona. Catch all of the Eagles action on 107.9 The Bear.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2007
- Sundogs Hold on for 3-2 Victory - Arizona Sundogs
- Youngstown ends RiverKings' streak in OT - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs Outlast Eagles 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Break CHL Shorthanded Goals Record - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Snap Kings' Streak in Overtime - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rage Out-Dueled by Mudbugs, 5-4 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Rayz beat Ice Bats, 3-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Win Sixth Straight, Beat Rage 5-4 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Pooches and pucks at the DCC Saturday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Old Time Hockey Returns as Hanson's Visit Hounds on Friday, March 2nd - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Fishing, Food and Fun With The Scorpions In March - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rivalry Week Kicks Off Tonight vs. Kings - Youngstown SteelHounds
- From Cotton King to L.A. King, Zeiler Makes the Jump - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Killer Bees Game Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction