Hounds Snap Kings' Streak in Overtime
The Youngstown SteelHounds had not beaten the Memphis RiverKings in four straight tries, not since the first weekend of the season back in October but that all changed in a classic on Friday night as the Hounds defeated the first place Memphis RiverKings 5-4 in overtime at the DeSoto Civic Center.
The Kings struck first with a power play goal by Phil Aucoin at 3:22 of the first period to make it 1-0 Memphis. Youngstown quickly responded with two goals, one from Chris Shaffer and a power play goal by Shaun Landolt to give the Hounds a 2-1 lead after the first period. The goal for Landolt extended his point streak to five games and with the assist for Tab Lardner he extends his point streak to seven games.
Memphis did not go quietly though as they had an 11 game home winning streak to protect and scored two unanswered of their own, one shorthanded by Ryan Campbell and one even strength goal by Tyler McGregor to give the Kings a 3-2 lead and seemingly the advantage going into the third period. Youngstown was not done yet though as with 11 seconds left in the second period Chris Richards scored his first of two power play goals on the night to tie the game at three after 40 minutes of play.
It took just 27 seconds of the third period for Ryan Held to give Memphis a 4-3 lead and get the momentum back for his team but the Hounds with Jeff Christian on the power play tied the game at four midway through the period to force overtime. In overtime at 1:05 Chris Richards scored on the power play from Matt Hanson to give the Hounds a 5-4 surprise victory on Friday night. For Y-Town it gives them their best month in team history as they won their record seventh game for February as they give the Kings their first home loss since December the ninth of 2006.
The win for the Hounds puts them to 2-0-0 on this three game road trip with both games going to at least overtime and improving their road record to 13-9-4 on the season. Youngstown is now 25-17-9 (59pts) as they go to Louisiana to finish this three game road trip against the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Saturday night at 8:05pm. The Hounds will host the RiverKings for three in a row starting March 1st with great seats available by calling (330) 747-PUCK.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2007
- Sundogs Hold on for 3-2 Victory - Arizona Sundogs
- Youngstown ends RiverKings' streak in OT - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs Outlast Eagles 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Break CHL Shorthanded Goals Record - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Snap Kings' Streak in Overtime - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rage Out-Dueled by Mudbugs, 5-4 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Rayz beat Ice Bats, 3-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Win Sixth Straight, Beat Rage 5-4 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Pooches and pucks at the DCC Saturday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Old Time Hockey Returns as Hanson's Visit Hounds on Friday, March 2nd - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Fishing, Food and Fun With The Scorpions In March - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rivalry Week Kicks Off Tonight vs. Kings - Youngstown SteelHounds
- From Cotton King to L.A. King, Zeiler Makes the Jump - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Killer Bees Game Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Youngstown SteelHounds Stories
- SteelHounds Franchise Terminated?
- Franck And Richards Honored As Team MVP's
- Hounds Offer Early Bird Specials for 08-09 Season Tickets
- SteelHounds Weekly
- Hounds season ends in 1-0 loss