Rage Out-Dueled by Mudbugs, 5-4
Bossier City, La. - The Rocky Mountain Rage let three one-goal leads slip away and eventually fell to the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs, 5-4, at the CenturyTel Center.
The Rage power play began the game on fire working against the league's best penalty kill, converting on its first two chances with the man advantage. Kyle Kos lit the lamp at 2:32 for the game's first goal, and Trevor Weisgerber sent home his 15th of the year at 5:16. The Mudbugs overcame two of their three one-goal deficits in the opening frame, though, with Ryan Fairbarn tying the game at one at 4:17 and Cam Abbott squaring the contest at two on the power play at 14:39.
Rocky Mountain took its third one-goal lead 9:03 into the second period with another power play goal. Bret DeCecco rifled a perfect cross-ice pass to Mark Wires, who one-timed his 16th of the year past Bossier-Shreveport goaltender Ken Carroll.
The Mudbugs not only responded to tie the game for the third time but jumped into the lead by the end of the period. Dan Wildfong tied the contest at 11:10 and then gave his club their first lead of the evening at 17:23 on the power play. Skating four-on-three in the waning moments of the second, Fairbarn hammered a one-timer off the left post past Rage netminder David Guerrera with .13 seconds remaining to give Bossier-Shreveport an insurance tally heading to the final frame.
The Mudbugs would need the insurance as DeCecco notched his 11th at 7:21 of the third to draw Rocky Mountain within one. But the Rage ran into penalty trouble in the final minutes, finishing the game down five-on-three and never really threatening to score the equalizer.
With the loss, Rocky Mountain is 11-32-5 and has not won in a span of eight games (0-7-1) dating back to their last victory on Feb. 1 against the Wichita Thunder, 2-1 in a shootout. The Rage remain in fourth place in the Northwest Division with 27 points in the standings.
The team now travels to face the Memphis RiverKings tomorrow at the DeSoto Civic Center in Southaven, Miss., at 6:05 p.m. MST. The game can be heard live on KLDC 810 AM beginning at 5:50 p.m. with the pre-game show.
The Rage then return home to Broomfield Event Center for a two-game set against the Lubbock Cotton Kings on Tuesday and Wednesday, Feb. 27 and 28, at 7:05 p.m. each evening.
The game on the 28th is a make-up game from the originally scheduled Dec. 21st contest between the two clubs that was postponed due to the Holiday Blizzard. Season ticket holders (and others, if applicable) should use their tickets dated Dec. 21 for the game on Feb. 28.
Single game tickets for Rage home games are on sale with prices ranging from $9-$40 per seat. Tickets may be purchased online at www.BroomfieldEventCenter.com, by calling 303-410-TIXS, or at the Broomfield Event Center box office (11450 Broomfield Ln., Broomfield, 80021). Group plans are also still available for the 2006-07 season by calling 303-439-RAGE. For more information, visit www.RockyMountainRage.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2007
- Sundogs Hold on for 3-2 Victory - Arizona Sundogs
- Youngstown ends RiverKings' streak in OT - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs Outlast Eagles 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Break CHL Shorthanded Goals Record - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Snap Kings' Streak in Overtime - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rage Out-Dueled by Mudbugs, 5-4 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Rayz beat Ice Bats, 3-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Win Sixth Straight, Beat Rage 5-4 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Pooches and pucks at the DCC Saturday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Old Time Hockey Returns as Hanson's Visit Hounds on Friday, March 2nd - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Fishing, Food and Fun With The Scorpions In March - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rivalry Week Kicks Off Tonight vs. Kings - Youngstown SteelHounds
- From Cotton King to L.A. King, Zeiler Makes the Jump - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Killer Bees Game Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.