Youngstown ends RiverKings' streak in OT
SOUTHAVEN, MS --- The Youngstown Steelhounds snapped the Memphis RiverKings' franchise record 11 game home winning streak with a 5-4 overtime win in front of 6,572 fans Friday night at the DeSoto Civic Center. The Steelhounds used a power play goal in the third period from Jeff Christian and one in the overtime from Chris Richards to win their fourth straight road game. Ryan Held had a goal and two assists to lead the RiverKings, who will be back on the ice at the DCC tomorrow night for a 7:05 game with the Rocky Mountain Rage.
Phil Aucoin got the RiverKings started in their first home game since Feburary 1 with a power play goal at 3:22 of the first period. It was his 15th goal of the season. Youngstown came back with goals by Chris Shaffer and Shaun Landolt to grab a 2-1 lead after one period.
The RiverKings turned the one goal deficit into a one goal advantage on a shorthanded tally by Ryan Campbell and Tyler McGregor's 6th goal of the season. For Campbell, it was his fourth shorthanded goal of the season and his 24th overall. McGregor's goal was set up by a fantastic effort and centering feed by Held. Unfortunately for the RiverKings, Richards evened things up again, scoring the first of three straight power play goals for the visitors with just 11 seconds left in the second period.
The RiverKings stormed out of the gate to begin the third period. They won the opening draw, and the line of Held, Louis Dumont and Jason Sessa went right to work fore-checking on the dump in. Their pressure paid off, with Held scoring for the fourth straight game, giving the RiverKings their one goal lead back. Jeff Christian brought the Steelhounds back with a power play wrist shot at 10:33 of the third.
It was the fourth of the seven meetings this season between the clubs to go past regulation. The game was decided on a power play goal from Richards, his second of the night and team-leading 32nd, 1:05 into the extra session.
Brad Roberts picked up the win with 17 saves while Larry Sterling took the loss with 22 stops.
Despite the end of the home winning streak, the RiverKings have still grabbed at least a point in 16 straight home games, going 14-0-2 since November 25.
By securing one point, the RiverKings remain in first in the Northeast Division, but now that lead is just one point ahead of Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs after the Mudbugs 5-4 home win over the Rage. The Steelhounds picked up a point in the division race and are now 13 points behind the RiverKings in third place.
For Saturday night's game, the first 1500 fans will receive a Cellular South Sheldon Wenzel Bobblehead.
A RiverKings game is even more fun when you come as a group. Groups of 10 or more save up to 30% on the box office rate, plus every person in the group receives a player mini bobblehead. Call 662-342-1755 for more information.
RiverKings Single-Game Tickets for all 2006-2007 home games are on sale now at the DeSoto Civic Center box office and at all TicketMaster locations and at ticketmaster.com.
UPCOMING PROMOTIONS: Friday, February 23 - Miller Lite 6-Pack Cooler to first 1,500 fans; Saturday, February 24 - Cellular South Sheldon Wenzel Mini Bobblehead to first 1,500 fans; RiverKings Retro Jersey Night-The RiverKings will be wearing dark jerseys from the mid 90's that will be sold in a live auction after the game.
After every RiverKings home game, the party heads to the new Buffalo Wild Wings on Airways in Southaven, the official Post Game Hang-Out of the RiverKings.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2007
- Sundogs Hold on for 3-2 Victory - Arizona Sundogs
- Youngstown ends RiverKings' streak in OT - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs Outlast Eagles 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Break CHL Shorthanded Goals Record - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Snap Kings' Streak in Overtime - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rage Out-Dueled by Mudbugs, 5-4 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Rayz beat Ice Bats, 3-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Win Sixth Straight, Beat Rage 5-4 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Pooches and pucks at the DCC Saturday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Old Time Hockey Returns as Hanson's Visit Hounds on Friday, March 2nd - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Fishing, Food and Fun With The Scorpions In March - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rivalry Week Kicks Off Tonight vs. Kings - Youngstown SteelHounds
- From Cotton King to L.A. King, Zeiler Makes the Jump - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Killer Bees Game Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.