Rivalry Week Kicks Off Tonight vs. Kings
Every year the month of March always seems to bring excitement with "March Madness," "WrestleMania," and the last dash to the Central Hockey League Playoffs and with March right around the corner it makes perfect sense that the Youngstown SteelHounds begin "Rivalry Week" tonight when they play the first place Memphis RiverKings at 8:05pm in Memphis. The Hounds will be playing division rivals Memphis and Bossier-Shreveport this weekend and in seven of their next nine games and these teams do not play nice.
Tonight it's the Hounds at 24-16-9 (57pts) look to take their first victory over Memphis since this opening week of the season when these rivals drop the puck from DeSoto Civic Center at 8:05. The RiverKings at 34-12-3 (71pts) lead the Northeast division and only trail Colorado by three points for the first seed in not just the Northern Conference Playoffs but possibly for home ice advantage throughout the CHL President's Cup Playoffs, have defeated the Hounds four straight times including two by way of the shootout.
Youngstown comes in on a hot streak winning three of their last four and getting a point in every game against the Wichita Thunder going 3-0-1 during the four game stretch and currently sit in the fifth position for the Northern Conference Playoffs, only trailing Oklahoma City by two points for the coveted fourth seed. In this new playoff system it is important to remember that in the first round the highest seeded team that loses will still advance to the second round. The Hounds are 6-2-1 in February tying the franchise record for most wins in a month, a win tonight or tomorrow would break that record set in December of this season when Y-Town went 6-3-1.
The SteelHounds are certainly in the middle of a rivalry week as they play at Memphis tonight and then go to Louisiana to play the second place and fellow division rival Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Saturday night for another 8:05pm start. Then the Hounds return home to host the RiverKings for three in a row starting on the first of March before having the team they are trying to catch for fourth place in the Oklahoma City Blazers come to town for a two game weekday affair starting on the sixth when they play a kids day game presented by Youngstown State at 10:30am. Rivlary week certainly isn't over as after the two game set with Oklahoma CIty the Hounds come back south for a back to back weekend at Bossier-Shreveport and then Memphis.
The Hounds as always are powered by the veteran leadership and scoring of the league's two best point producers in Jeff Christian and Chris Richards but will look for defensemen Jeff Alcombrack to keep his point streak going (currently at seven games) to help propel the SteelHounds to victory against a Memphis team that now has two good goalies they can rely on in Larry Sterling who is 27-8-3 and leads the league with most games played at 41 and now Kevin Schieve who just won Oakley CHL Goalie of the Week honors and in just a short time is already 5-3-0 with a shutout.
It is sure to be a great night in Memphis tonight when the Hounds take on the Kings and you can tune in for all of the action on ESPN Radio 1240am-The Fan and steelhounds.com as Hounds Game Night starts at 7:50pm and we will drop the puck at 8:05.
*Don't forget Hounds fans that the Hounds host these very same Memphis RiverKings for three in a row from March 1-3 with the famous Hanson Brothers from the movie "Slap Shot" appearing on Friday the second for a 7:05pm start. Seats are still available by calling the SteelHounds today at (330) 747-PUCK.*
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2007
- Sundogs Hold on for 3-2 Victory - Arizona Sundogs
- Youngstown ends RiverKings' streak in OT - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs Outlast Eagles 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Break CHL Shorthanded Goals Record - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Snap Kings' Streak in Overtime - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rage Out-Dueled by Mudbugs, 5-4 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Rayz beat Ice Bats, 3-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Win Sixth Straight, Beat Rage 5-4 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Pooches and pucks at the DCC Saturday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Old Time Hockey Returns as Hanson's Visit Hounds on Friday, March 2nd - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Fishing, Food and Fun With The Scorpions In March - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rivalry Week Kicks Off Tonight vs. Kings - Youngstown SteelHounds
- From Cotton King to L.A. King, Zeiler Makes the Jump - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Killer Bees Game Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Youngstown SteelHounds Stories
- SteelHounds Franchise Terminated?
- Franck And Richards Honored As Team MVP's
- Hounds Offer Early Bird Specials for 08-09 Season Tickets
- SteelHounds Weekly
- Hounds season ends in 1-0 loss