Killer Bees Game Notes
The Killer Bees (20-24-6, 46 pts.) play the third of six-straight road games tonight at the Ector County Coliseum against the Odessa Jackalopes (18-26-5, 41 pts.). The Bees, who have 14 games left in the regular season are 0-2 on the trip so far but remain just two points out of the sixth and final playoff spot (held by Austin) in the Southern Conference. The Bees are coming off a 4-1 loss Wednesday at New Mexico, while the Jackalopes fell 1-0 in overtime to Oklahoma City last night. The Jacks have 15 games left (including tonight) and hold the No. 7 spot in the Southern Conference.
Radio: ESPN 1240 (Rich Bocchini)
Internet: Live audio at killerbeehockey.com; audio/video stream at chltv.com (when available)
Email contact during broadcasts: [email protected]
- Join the Bees on Monday nights at Fanatic's, inside Valley Bowl on Business 83 in Mission for Coaches Corner from 6-7 p.m. each week. Listen live on Jammin' 104.9/95.3 FM.
- The Bees don't play at home until March 6 in the special Kid's Only Game. The next regular home game isn't until March 11 vs. Austin. Sponge Bob and Patrick will be at the game as Time Warner and McDonalds host their fourth Family Night of the season.
IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING...
- There are 14 games left in the regular season including tonight; 12 vs. Southern Conference teams...
- Beginning with last Friday's game, the Bees play six games in nine days...eight of the next nine games are on the road including six in a row (@ ARI, @ NMX, @ ODE, @ AUS, @ LAR, @ CRP - 3 games)
- The Bees went 3-1-0 in October, 5-5-1 in November, 4-8-2 in December and 4-4-3 in January. They are 4-6-0 in February.
- Odessa is just 2-12-1 in their last 15 games dating back to Jan. 14.
- Odessa's Jeff Ewasko leads the CHL with 258 PIM...Mike Gorman in among the leaders in several goaltending categories (minutes, losses, saves)
- Rio's Dale Butland is second among rookies with 179 PIM)...Matt Medley is 10th among defensemen in scoring...
TEAM VS. TEAM
ALL TIME SERIES
16th meeting; Rio is 10-5-0-0 all time (5-2-0-0 at home, 5-3-0-0 on the road).
Rio is 3-0-0...This is the fourth and final meeting and third here in Odessa...Rio has held Odessa to one goal in each of the three games...Jeff Van Nynatten has been in net for two games, making 69 saves on 71 shots (.972)...Rio is 2-for-15 on the PP, while Odessa is 1-for-25...Jason Cirone, Dennis Maxwell and Ryan Carrigan each have a pair of goals vs. the Jacks...
Sunday, Feb 11, 2007
Rio scored a pair of goals in the third period and Jeff Van Nynatten made 28 saves to take a 4-1 win.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE - all times CST
2/24/07 - 7:30 PM at Austin (Jammin' 104.9/95.3 FM)
3/02/07 - 7:30 PM at Laredo (ESPN 1240)
3/03/07 - 7:30 PM at Corpus Christi (Jammin' 104.9/95.3 FM)
3/06/07 - 10:30 AM vs. Austin (ESPN 1240 AM)
3/09/07 - 7:00 PM at Corpus Christi
3/10/07 - 7:00 PM at Corpus Christi
3/11/07 - 4:00 PM vs. Austin
02/17/07 ADD Joseph, Marlon (F) signed contract
02/16/07 DEL Casey, Joe (C) placed on 45 day IR
02/12/07 ADD Voltera, Rob (LW) activated from suspension
02/11/07 ADD Cummings, Brent (D) activated from IR
02/10/07 ADD OLeary, Mark (LW) activated from IR
02/10/07 DEL Reynolds, Matt (LW) placed on 14 day IR
02/09/07 DEL Mathieu, Maxime (LW) placed on 14 day IR
02/07/07 DEL Voltera, Rob (LW) placed on league suspension for 3 games
01/31/07 DEL Orr, Doug (F) waived
01/27/07 ADD Warriner, Nick (C) acquired in trade from Rocky Mountain 01/25/07 ADD Gouett, Mark (D) signed contract
01/20/07 DEL OLeary, Mark (LW) placed on 14 day IR
01/15/07 ADD Butland, Dale (D) acquired in trade from OKC
01/15/07 DEL Olauson, Emery (RW) traded to Oklahoma City Blazers
01/14/07 ADD Cirone, Jason (C) activated from IR
01/11/07 DEL Lovell, Jamie (D) traded to Tulsa Oilers
01/11/07 DEL Dulle, Kurtis (D) traded to Tulsa Oilers
01/11/07 DEL Newson, Bill (LW) traded to Tulsa Oilers
01/11/07 ADD Medley, Matt (D) acquired in trade from Tulsa Oilers
01/11/07 ADD Masse, David (LW) acquired in trade from Tulsa Oilers
01/06/06 ADD Mathieu, Max (F) activated from IR
01/05/06 DEL Cummings, Brent (D) placed on 14-day IR
01/05/06 ADD Casey, Joe (C) activated from IR
12/31/06 DEL Cirone, Jaosn (C), placed on 14-day IR
12/21/06 DEL Rogers, Matt (LW) waived
12/21/06 ADD Voltera, Rob (RW) activated from IR
12/21/06 ADD Orr, Doug (RW) signed contract
12/17/06 DEL Mathieu, Maxime (LW) placed on 14 day IR
12/16/06 ADD Dulle, Kurtis (D) activated from IR
12/10/06 DEL Casey, Joe (C) placed on 14 day IR
12/07/06 ADD Rogers, Matt (LW) signed contract
12/03/06 DEL Voltera, Rob (RW) placed on 14 day IR
12/02/06 DEL Dulle, Kurtis (D) placed on 14 day IR
11/17/06 ADD Symington, Jeremy (G) signed
11/17/06 DEL Blanchard, Mathieu (G) waived
11/14/06 DEL Hult, Alexander (C) waived
11/14/06 ADD Looby, Mike (D) signed contract
11/11/06 ADD Looby, Mike (D) claimed off waivers
11/09/06 ADD Voltera, Rob (RW) signed contract
11/06/06 DEL Faris, Mark (RW) waived
10/27/06 ADD OLeary, Mark (LW) signed contract
10/27/06 DEL Bickel, Ted (F) waived
KILLER BEES GOALIE NOTES
- Is 2-3-0 in his last five decisions with a 3.81 GAA and .891 save percentage.
- Set a franchise record with 53 saves in a 3-2 SO win at Youngstown on Jan. 26.
- Snapped a six-game winless streak (0-3-3) on January 12 with 28 saves in a 3-2 SO win over Amarillo.
- Won six in a row from Nov. 22 - Dec. 9.
- Selected as the Southern Conference starting goaltender in the 2007 Dodge CHL All Star Game at Bossier-Shreveport on January 17.
- Signed with Rio on Nov. 17 after beginning the season with Youngstown. Is 5-2 since signing with the Bees.
- Went 2-0 with the Steelhounds, winning two games at Memphis opening weekend.
- Earned first Bees win in a 34-save, 3-0 shutout of Bossier-Shreveport on Nov. 22. Followed that up with another 3-0 shutout (31 saves) two nights later at Bossier, and earned Oakley CHL Goalie of the Week Honors for Week Six.
- Symington's string of shutout hockey ended at 171:47, a new team record (Nov. 18-Nov. 28, eight consecutive periods-plus)
- Went to the CHL finals with Laredo in 2005 after a solid regular season that saw him post an 18-10-1 record with a 2.39 GAA. He was also a CHL All-Star in 2005.
- Was an eighth round draft selection of the NY Islanders in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft.
- Is 2-3-0 in his last five decisions...entering last Friday was 4-1 with a 2.18 GAA and .923 save percentage.
- Earned consecutive wins on Feb. 10 (vs. Laredo) and 11 (vs. Odessa)
- Named Week 14 Oakley Goalie of the Week after posting wins on Jan. 19 and 20...win on Jan. 19 snapped a personal 0-5-1 skid.
- Earned first pro win with 24 saves in second pro start at Laredo on October 28.
- Made 41 saves in a 2-1 win at Odessa on Nov. 16.
- Teammate and roommate of Killer Bee Ryan Carrigan at Niagara from 2003-05.
- Ranks first on CHA chart in career wins and minutes.
- Made an NCAA season-high 59 saves in a 7-1 loss at Minnesota on Jan. 7, 2006.
- Stopped Ryan Campbell on a penalty shot at Memphis (Nov. 25, 2006)
KILLER BEES PLAYER NOTES
Head Coach Paul Fixter coached his 200th game on Jan. 28 at Youngstown...The Bee's 28th win this season will be his 100th overall...Rob Voltera scored two goals on January 19 vs. Wichita. The game-winner and his first of the night was his 100th career goal... Jason Cirone played in his 1000th career game (including playoffs) on December 31 at Laredo.
MASSE HAS POINTS IN FIVE STRAIGHT
David Masse has points in five straight games (5-5-10). A point tonight matches his team high six-game scoring streak (Jan. 12-27).
PENALTY SHOT MARKERS
The Bees have scored two penalty shot goals this season. Matt Medley had the first on Jan. 19 vs. Wichita. The goal is believed to be the first penalty shot goal scored by Rio (team and league records for penalty shots are incomplete). Dennis Maxwell scored Rio's second penalty shot goal at Arizona on Feb. 20.
MULTIPLE GOAL GAMES
Killer Bees players have accounted for 15 multi-goal games this season; the team has yet to see a player bag a hat trick. Five of those games came from players no longer with the club; Bill Newson (3), Emery Olauson (1) and Doug Orr (1). The Bees are 4-6 when a current player scores multiple goals in a game; Jason Cirone leads the club with three multi-goal games.
REYNOLDS TIES CAREER HIGH FOR GOALS
Matt Reynolds' shorthanded goal on Feb. 1, his 11th goal overall, tied a personal-best. He scored 11 goals as a rookie with Fort Worth last season, and had never scored more than nine goals through his junior and college career.
KILLER BEES TEAM NOTES
SPARE SOME GAS MONEY?
Beginning February 20, the Bees play seven of eight games away from Dodge Arena, including six in a row (Feb. 20-March 3). That's the second longest road trip in franchise history. The team went on a seven-game swing from Dec, 12-30, 2003, and compiled a 3-2-2 record. The Bees play eight of nine on the road from Feb. 20-March 10; the only home game in that span is the Kid's Only Game vs. Austin on March 6. The Bees visit Arizona, New Mexico, Odessa, Austin, Laredo and Corpus Christi (three times).
Youngstown set an opponent record with 55 total shots on January 26 at the Chevrolet Center in Youngstown. Jeremy Symington set a Bees record with 53 saves in the 3-2 SO win, while the shot total was also a franchise-high for the Steelhounds.
ATTENDANCE IS UP
Through 22 openings this season, the Killer Bees averaged 4,942 fans per game. Through the first 22 games last season, the Bees averaged 4,839. That's an increase of 103 fans per game.
GET THE FIRST GOAL
Rio is 7-19-2-3 (W-L-OTL-SOL) when allowing the first goal and 13-5-1 when scoring first.
IT'S NEVER EASY TO COME BACK
The Bees are 1-23-1-2 when trailing after two periods. Conversely, they are 16-1-0 when leading after two; the only loss was a 7-3 decision to Corpus Christi on Feb. 3.
EACH DAY, BY DAY, DAY BY DAY, BY DAY
Rio has been the most successful on Fridays (9-7-2). Their least successful day of the week is Sunday (1-6-1). The team plays at least one game on each day of the week except Monday this season.
The Bees averaged 2.73 goals scored per game in the 33 games up until "The Trade" that brought David Masse and Matt Medley to the Valley. In the six games following the trade, Rio potted 22 goals for an average of 3.66.
BEES EARN FIRST SHOOTOUT WIN
The Bees won in the shootout vs. Amarillo on January 12, 2007, their first SO win in four attempts to that point. It was Rio's first SO win since March 7, 2006 (3-2 vs. Bossier-Shreveport).
BEES LOSE AT CORPUS CHRISTI FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ALMOST TWO YEARS
A 6-1 loss at Corpus Christi on January 5, 2007, marked the first time the Bees lost at American Bank Center for the first time since March 17, 2005.
CORPUS SETS OPPONENT HIGH FOR SHOTS
Corpus Christi peppered Jeremy Symington with 21 shots in the second period on Dec.1, a season high. The franchise record is 23 shots allowed at Odessa (3/4/05, 2nd).
LAREDO BOMBS NINE GOALS VS. BEES
The nine goals scored by Laredo on Dec. 10 set a new opponent regular season record. The previous high was eight, scored by the Bucks on Dec. 17, 2004. Laredo scored nine goals vs. the Bees in Game 5 of the first round of 2006 CHL playoffs (April 9, 2006).
AUSTIN TIES OPPONENT RECORD
Austin scored goals 11 seconds apart on Nov. 11, setting a new opponent record for quickest goals.
COMPACTING THE SCHEDULE
The Bees play 12 three-in-three stretches this season. The Bees close the season with a trio of three-in-three weekends in March.
GOALS FOR - 135
GOALS AGAINST - 160
- Is 1-for-18 on the PP in the last four games.
- Tied a season and franchise high with three PPG on Feb. 10 vs. Laredo (3-2W)
- Went 14-for-67 (20.9%) in first 10 games...6-for-64 (9.38%) in games 11-20...9-for-57 in games 21-30 (15.79%)...6-for-41 in games 31-40 (14.63%).
- Tied a season-high with 11 opportunities (2-for-11) at Laredo Nov. 28.
- Tied a franchise record with three power play goals on Oct. 27.
- Had allowed a PPG in eight straight games prior to shutting down Laredo on six chances on Feb. 10 vs. Laredo...is 29-for-34 on the PK in the last five games.
- Went 67-for-77 (87.01%) in first 10 games...72-for-77 (93.51%) in games 11-20...66-for-67 (83.58%) in games 21-30 ...46-for-53 (86.79%) in games 31-40 (14.63%).
- After allowing four PPG on opening night vs. Arizona, did not allow multiple PPG's until game 14 at Memphis; Riverkings went 2-for-7.
- Killed off 27-straight power plays in four games from Dec. 17-29...Killed off 24-straight power plays in three games from Dec. 3-9.
- Had killed off 24-straight over two-plus games (Nov. 16 at Odessa and 17 vs. New Mexico). Arizona snapped the string on its fourth power play of the game on Nov. 18.
- Scored two shorthanded goals at Odessa on December 22.
- Laredo set a new opponent record with 13 power plays Nov. 28 at the LEC.
OVERTIME AND SHOOTOUTS
Nov. 11, 2006 - 6-5 loss vs. Austin (Terry Virtue)
Dec. 1, 2006 - 4-3 win vs. Corpus Christi (Mike Looby)
Jan. 7, 2007 - 3-2 loss at Laredo (Chris Korchinski)
Feb. 10, 2007 - 3-2 win vs. Laredo (Dennis Maxwell)
Feb. 17, 2007 - 3-2 win vs. Tulsa (Matt Medley
Dec. 8, 2006 - 3-2 loss vs. Corpus Christi (Todd Paul)
Dec. 29, 2006 - 3-2 loss vs. Laredo (Bobby Chaumont)
January 9, 2007 - 4-3 loss vs. Austin (Julian Smith)
January 12, 2007 - 3-2 win vs. Amarillo (David Masse)
January 26, 2007 - 3-2 win at Youngstown (Rob Voltera)
January 27, 2007 - 5-4 loss at Youngstown (Chris Richards)
THE LAST TIME...
A GAME WAS DECIDED IN OVERTIME
RGV win: 2/17/07 vs. Tulsa (3-2 win, Matt Medley, GWG)
RGV loss: 1/7/07 at Laredo (3-2 loss, Chris Korchinski, GWG)
A GAME WAS SCORELESS HEADING INTO OVERTIME
3/11/06 @ Lubbock (LUB 1, RGV 0) SO, Mike Brolsma
A GAME WAS DECIDED IN A SHOOTOUT
RGV Win: 1/26/07 at Youngstown (Rob Voltera)
RGV Loss: 1/27/07 at Youngstown (4-3, Chris Richards)
KILLER BEES SHUTOUT
RGV Win: 11/24/06 at Bossier-Shreveport (3-0, Jeremy Symington, 31 saves)
RGV Loss: 1/28/07 at Youngstown (5-0, Brad Roberts, 23 saves))
RGV - 12/11/05 vs. Laredo (Daymen Bencharksi, 1st period, natural hat trick)
Opponent - 12/10/06 at Laredo (Adam Rivet)
A KILLER BEES PLAYER TALLIED A FOUR-GOAL GAME
ATTEMPTED PENALTY SHOTS
RGV: 12/8/06 vs. Corpus Christi (Jon Robert vs. Ron Vogel, no goal)
OPPONENT: 01/06/07 at Austin (Tim Earl vs. Jeremy Symington, no goal)
SCORED ON A PENALTY SHOT
RGV: 2/20/07 at Arizona (Dennis Maxwell vs. Kris Mayotte)
GOALTENDER RECORDED AN ASSIST
RGV: 3/12/06 at Amarillo (Evan Lindsay)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2007
- Sundogs Hold on for 3-2 Victory - Arizona Sundogs
- Youngstown ends RiverKings' streak in OT - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs Outlast Eagles 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Break CHL Shorthanded Goals Record - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Snap Kings' Streak in Overtime - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rage Out-Dueled by Mudbugs, 5-4 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Rayz beat Ice Bats, 3-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Win Sixth Straight, Beat Rage 5-4 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Pooches and pucks at the DCC Saturday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Old Time Hockey Returns as Hanson's Visit Hounds on Friday, March 2nd - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Fishing, Food and Fun With The Scorpions In March - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rivalry Week Kicks Off Tonight vs. Kings - Youngstown SteelHounds
- From Cotton King to L.A. King, Zeiler Makes the Jump - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Killer Bees Game Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.