Mudbugs Win Sixth Straight, Beat Rage 5-4
BOSSIER CITY, LA -- Three consecutive second period goals helped lift the Mudbugs to their sixth straight win, as they escaped with 5-4 victory over the Rocky Mountain Rage.
The Rocky Mountain Rage caught the Mudbugs off guard in the first period, capitalizing on two of three power play chances. Kyle Kos tallied at 2:32 to give the Rage a 1-0 lead. Ryan Fairbarn answered for the Bugs, cutting down the weak side and scoring on a short pass from Daniel Pegoraro. The Rage buried another power play goal only moments later with Trevor Weisgerber beating Ken Carroll to place Rocky Mountain back on top by one. The Bugs closed out the period strong, this time on a power play goal of their own. Cam Abbott poked a rebound past David Guererra at 14:39, tying the game before the intermission.
Rocky Mountain continued the special teams success in the second period when Mark Wires tallied on a centering feed out of the corner at 9:03. The Mudbugs then rattled off three straight goals. Dan Wildfong scored an even strength goal at 11:10 and followed it up with a power play goal at 17:23. Ryan Fairbarn scored his second goal of the game, this time on the power play with a slapshot from the point. Fairbarn scored with just 13 hundredths of a second remaining on the clock.
Bret DeCecco scored the only goal of the third period to place Rocky Mountain within one, but the Bugs defense held strong. Ken Carroll stopped 30 of 34 shots in his first game back from injury, it was Carroll's eighth win of the season.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2007
- Sundogs Hold on for 3-2 Victory - Arizona Sundogs
- Youngstown ends RiverKings' streak in OT - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs Outlast Eagles 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Break CHL Shorthanded Goals Record - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Snap Kings' Streak in Overtime - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rage Out-Dueled by Mudbugs, 5-4 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Rayz beat Ice Bats, 3-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Win Sixth Straight, Beat Rage 5-4 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Pooches and pucks at the DCC Saturday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tonight's Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Old Time Hockey Returns as Hanson's Visit Hounds on Friday, March 2nd - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Fishing, Food and Fun With The Scorpions In March - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rivalry Week Kicks Off Tonight vs. Kings - Youngstown SteelHounds
- From Cotton King to L.A. King, Zeiler Makes the Jump - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Killer Bees Game Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.