Duran Homers Twice, Claws Open Series with 7-1 Win at Hickory
HICKORY, NC - Rodolfo Duran hit two home runs and Lakewood hit four as the BlueClaws topped Hickory 7-1 on Friday night in a game shortened to seven innings by rain. The win puts the BlueClaws at 30-games over .500 for just the third time in franchise history and first since 2006.
The BlueClaws (32-15/73-43) have now won 22 of their last 29 games and are 30 games over .500 for the first time since the 2006 team was 81-51 and 83-53 en route to an 84-55 finish. Lakewood also gained a game on second place Hickory (29-19/59-57) and is now 3.5 games ahead of the Crawdads in the SAL North.
Duran's first home run came in the second to put the BlueClaws up 1-0. After the Crawdads tied the game in the bottom of the second, Duran went deep again with a two-run blast in the fourth to put Lakewood up 3-1. Duran's two home runs came after he homered in his final at bat on Thursday night in Charleston and gave him 15 on the season.
Duran became the first BlueClaw to hit two home runs in a game this year and first since Darick Hall did it in August of 2017.
Jose Antequera got in on the action in the fifth when he launched his second home run of the season with one out in the top of the fifth inning. Matt Vierling led off the sixth with his third home run of the year and Lakewood's fourth of the game. The BlueClaws added two more in the inning, one on an RBI triple from Jhailyn Ortiz and one when Ortiz scored on a wild pitch.
Crawdads starter Tyree Thompson (7-9) gave up seven runs over six innings and took the loss.
Meanwhile, Lakewood starter Gustavo Armas (1-1) was very sharp, allowing one run over six innings. The right-hander from Playa Iguana, Venezuela has allowed just seven earned runs in five starts with the BlueClaws this year and has pitched at least six innings in each one.
Duran and Vierling each had two hits for Lakewood, who has now won five of seven meetings with the Crawdads this year.
The teams continue their series on Saturday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Andrew Brown (4-2) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Hans Crouse (--).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Drive Offense Stays Hot in 10-5 Win in Augusta - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Outpunch Fireflies to Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- GreenJackets Drop Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hernandez's Three-Hit Effort Not Enough in Walk-Off Loss - West Virginia Power
- What Is Love: Hoppers Celebrate Miss Babe - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Delmarva Takes Marathon Opener in Columbia - Columbia Fireflies
- Hat Trick in the Third Leads Legends to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Garcia Drives in Three as RiverDogs Take Opener against Suns - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Take Grasshoppers by Storm in Series Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Tenth Inning Triumph for the Braves - Rome Braves
- Crawdads Five Game Win Streak Halted by Homers - Hickory Crawdads
- Duran Homers Twice, Claws Open Series with 7-1 Win at Hickory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 10 vs. Delmarva (Game 113) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Catcher Lopez Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Finalists Chosen for Fans to Decide RiverDogs "Top Dog" in 2018 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Night Walk-Off for GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tetreault K's Eleven in Walk-Off Loss; Game Two Canceled - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Vierling Homers, But Claws Rally Falls Short
- Garcia Fans 11 But Claws Drop Opener to Lexington
- Balanced Attack Gives BlueClaws Fifth Straight Win as Claws Topple Rome
- Walk-Off Claws Win Again, 5-4 over Rome on Thursday
- Maton's Grand Slam Keys BlueClaws 7-2 Wednesday Win