Tenth Inning Triumph for the Braves
Rome, GA - Rome edged West Virginia 4-3 in ten innings Friday evening at State Mutual Stadium before a crowd of 1,860.
The game was scoreless through five until Rome made it a 2-0 contest in the sixth on Jefrey Ramos' (13) two run homer to left center. West Virginia tied the game in the seventh on Ryan Peurifoy's RBI groundout and a wild pitch allowing the second run of the frame to cross the plate. The game didn't stay tied for long as the Power made it a 3-2 game in the eighth on Raul Hernandez's run scoring base hit.
In the bottom of the ninth with runners on the corners, AJ Graffanino hit a slow ground ball to shortstop for an infield single allowing the tying run to cross the plate sending the game into extra innings. Relief pitcher Hayden Deal enjoyed a two pitch top of the tenth moving the game to the bottom half of the inning. With Ramos running at second and one out, Brendan Venter was intentionally walked. On an attempted pickoff at second, the throw went into centerfield moving both runners ahead 90 feet. Trey Harris then popped up to first for the second out. With Marcos Almonte batting, West Virginia reliever Samuel Reyes threw a wild pitch moving Ramos home for the walk off winning run, 4-3. This was the Rome Braves' first win this season trailing after eight innings. The team was 0-42 until tonight.
Hayden Deal (7-1) earns the win for the Braves while Reyes (1-3) is the loser.
The Braves and Power tangle again tomorrow at 6 p.m. For information contact the Rome Braves at 706-378-5144 or log onto www.romebraves.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Drive Offense Stays Hot in 10-5 Win in Augusta - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Outpunch Fireflies to Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- GreenJackets Drop Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hernandez's Three-Hit Effort Not Enough in Walk-Off Loss - West Virginia Power
- What Is Love: Hoppers Celebrate Miss Babe - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Delmarva Takes Marathon Opener in Columbia - Columbia Fireflies
- Hat Trick in the Third Leads Legends to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Garcia Drives in Three as RiverDogs Take Opener against Suns - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Take Grasshoppers by Storm in Series Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Tenth Inning Triumph for the Braves - Rome Braves
- Crawdads Five Game Win Streak Halted by Homers - Hickory Crawdads
- Duran Homers Twice, Claws Open Series with 7-1 Win at Hickory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 10 vs. Delmarva (Game 113) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Catcher Lopez Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Finalists Chosen for Fans to Decide RiverDogs "Top Dog" in 2018 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Night Walk-Off for GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tetreault K's Eleven in Walk-Off Loss; Game Two Canceled - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.