RiverDogs Catcher Lopez Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa
CHARLESTON, SC - After a late-season tear that placed Jason Lopez among the South Atlantic League's best catchers, the 20-year-old Venezuelan backstop was promoted to the New York Yankees Advanced-A affiliate Tampa Tarpons on Friday and will be replaced by catcher Jerry Seitz on Charleston's roster.
Lopez hit .393 (24-for-61) from July 22-August 9, ranking third in the league during that span. The Valencia-born prospect slashed .285/.330/.453 in his 72 games with the RiverDogs and was in the top-5 in average, on-base percentage, and slugging among SAL catchers with at least 150 plate appearances. He went 0-for-2 in a rain-shortened contest on Thursday, his last game with Charleston, but had previously reached in 14 of 15 games and matched a season-best, seven-game hitting streak.
The Yankees farmhand clubbed eight home runs and drove in 30 runs while scoring 35 times. Lopez had never hit more than one long ball in each of his first three professional seasons since being signed as a 16-year-old international prospect in 2014. Lopez also showed good speed on the base paths, tying the RiverDogs lead for doubles with 19 and swiping seven bases, tied with Hickory's Sam Huff for the most among SAL catchers.
Seitz, 23, joins the RiverDogs for his second stint in recent weeks after playing in three games from July 29-August 4. In his brief Holy City appearance, the Santa Barbara, Venezuela native went 2-for-11 with an RBI. The 2013 international signee is a .276 hitter in 133 career games and swung at a .274 clip in 22 games with Short Season-A Staten Island this season. Seitz makes the trip to Charleston from Tampa where he went 1-for-11 in three games.
Lopez is the 12th RiverDog to be promoted to New York's Advanced-A affiliate during the campaign, four of which have been position players. The prospect was named a finalist for Charleston's "Top Dog" of 2018 on Friday, a fan-determined award for the team's most outstanding player.
RiverDogs single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are available for the remainder of the 2018 campaign, the club's 25th season as the RiverDogs and their "175th season in dog years." Ticket information can be secured by contacting the box office at (843) 577-DOGS (3647) or online at www.riverdogs.com/tickets.
Images from this story
Charleston RiverDogs catcher Jason Lopez
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Drive Offense Stays Hot in 10-5 Win in Augusta - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Outpunch Fireflies to Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- GreenJackets Drop Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hernandez's Three-Hit Effort Not Enough in Walk-Off Loss - West Virginia Power
- What Is Love: Hoppers Celebrate Miss Babe - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Delmarva Takes Marathon Opener in Columbia - Columbia Fireflies
- Hat Trick in the Third Leads Legends to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Garcia Drives in Three as RiverDogs Take Opener against Suns - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Take Grasshoppers by Storm in Series Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Tenth Inning Triumph for the Braves - Rome Braves
- Crawdads Five Game Win Streak Halted by Homers - Hickory Crawdads
- Duran Homers Twice, Claws Open Series with 7-1 Win at Hickory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 10 vs. Delmarva (Game 113) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Catcher Lopez Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Finalists Chosen for Fans to Decide RiverDogs "Top Dog" in 2018 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Night Walk-Off for GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tetreault K's Eleven in Walk-Off Loss; Game Two Canceled - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs Announce Valentine's Day Packages
- Mosquera Returns as RiverDogs Manager in 2019
- RiverDogs Seeking to Fill More Than 200 Gameday Positions at Upcoming Job Fairs
- Smoak, Singleton & Veeck to Join Johnny Damon at RiverDogs Hot Stove Banquet
- RiverDogs Add Four to Front Office Staff Heading into Season