Delmarva Takes Marathon Opener in Columbia
COLUMBIA, SC - Friday night at Spirit Communications Park featured quite the offensive battle between Columbia and Delmarva. It was the visiting club, though, that bested the Fireflies, 9-7, in the series opener. The game featured 16 runs and 19 hits.
Columbia (52-61) battled back from a once five-run deficit. The Fireflies entered the bottom of the fifth trailing 7-2, but left the frame down just two. That was after Hansel Moreno tattooed a Luis Perez (W, 3-2) pitch halfway up the center-field wall with the bases loaded. Moreno's double cleared the bases and the home team was within two.
Later on in the seventh - and this time down three runs - the Fireflies tallied a pair of runs. Outfielder David Miranda not only drove in a run with a double, but he later scored on a balk. This proved to be the closest Columbia would get to Delmarva (58-55) on Friday night. Miranda finished with a pair of hits.
Both Matt Winaker (9) and Zach Rheams (3) went yard on Friday. Winaker now leads the team with nine blasts and extended his on-base streak to 21 straight games in the process.
TOP 1 - Zach Jarrett goes yard over the left-field wall. DEL 1, COL 0
BOTTOM 1 - Matt Winaker smashes his team-best ninth homer of the year. COL 1, DEL 1
BOTTOM 4 - Zach Rheams drills a solo home run, his third of the season. COL 2, DEL 1
TOP 5 - Mason McCoy singles in a run ... Cadyn Grenier walks with the bases loaded ... Jarrett clears the bases with a triple ... Jarrett scores on Ryan Ripken's base hit. DEL 7, COL 2
BOTTOM 5 - Hansel Moreno crushes a three-run double off the center-field wall. DEL 7, COL 5
TOP 7 - Bases full for the Shorebirds, Trevor Craport knocks in a run with a single. DEL 8, COL 5
BOTTOM 7 - David Miranda doubles in Carlos Sanchez (who also doubled) ... Miranda moves to third on a ground out and scores on a balk by reliever Diogenes Almengo. DEL 8, COL 7
TOP 9 - Craport's base hit scores Seamus Curran. DEL 9, COL 7
The series now rolls into the weekend. Columbia and Delmarva start game two on Saturday at 6:05 ET at Spirit Communications Park. Righty Luc Rennie (2-1, 1.93) starts for the Fireflies and faces Shorebirds lefty Cameron Bishop (8-5, 2.90).
You can watch the action on MiLB.TV or listen in on FOX Sports Radio 1400 AM, ColumbiaFireflies.com and the iHeartRadio app starting at 5:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Drive Offense Stays Hot in 10-5 Win in Augusta - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Outpunch Fireflies to Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- GreenJackets Drop Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hernandez's Three-Hit Effort Not Enough in Walk-Off Loss - West Virginia Power
- What Is Love: Hoppers Celebrate Miss Babe - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Delmarva Takes Marathon Opener in Columbia - Columbia Fireflies
- Hat Trick in the Third Leads Legends to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Garcia Drives in Three as RiverDogs Take Opener against Suns - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Take Grasshoppers by Storm in Series Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Tenth Inning Triumph for the Braves - Rome Braves
- Crawdads Five Game Win Streak Halted by Homers - Hickory Crawdads
- Duran Homers Twice, Claws Open Series with 7-1 Win at Hickory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 10 vs. Delmarva (Game 113) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Catcher Lopez Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Finalists Chosen for Fans to Decide RiverDogs "Top Dog" in 2018 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Night Walk-Off for GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tetreault K's Eleven in Walk-Off Loss; Game Two Canceled - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.