Delmarva Takes Marathon Opener in Columbia
COLUMBIA, SC - Friday night at Spirit Communications Park featured quite the offensive battle between Columbia and Delmarva. It was the visiting club, though, that bested the Fireflies, 9-7, in the series opener. The game featured 16 runs and 19 hits.
Columbia (52-61) battled back from a once five-run deficit. The Fireflies entered the bottom of the fifth trailing 7-2, but left the frame down just two. That was after Hansel Moreno tattooed a Luis Perez (W, 3-2) pitch halfway up the center-field wall with the bases loaded. Moreno's double cleared the bases and the home team was within two.
Later on in the seventh - and this time down three runs - the Fireflies tallied a pair of runs. Outfielder David Miranda not only drove in a run with a double, but he later scored on a balk. This proved to be the closest Columbia would get to Delmarva (58-55) on Friday night. Miranda finished with a pair of hits.
Both Matt Winaker (9) and Zach Rheams (3) went yard on Friday. Winaker now leads the team with nine blasts and extended his on-base streak to 21 straight games in the process.
TOP 1 - Zach Jarrett goes yard over the left-field wall. DEL 1, COL 0
BOTTOM 1 - Matt Winaker smashes his team-best ninth homer of the year. COL 1, DEL 1
BOTTOM 4 - Zach Rheams drills a solo home run, his third of the season. COL 2, DEL 1
TOP 5 - Mason McCoy singles in a run ... Cadyn Grenier walks with the bases loaded ... Jarrett clears the bases with a triple ... Jarrett scores on Ryan Ripken's base hit. DEL 7, COL 2
BOTTOM 5 - Hansel Moreno crushes a three-run double off the center-field wall. DEL 7, COL 5
TOP 7 - Bases full for the Shorebirds, Trevor Craport knocks in a run with a single. DEL 8, COL 5
BOTTOM 7 - David Miranda doubles in Carlos Sanchez (who also doubled) ... Miranda moves to third on a ground out and scores on a balk by reliever Diogenes Almengo. DEL 8, COL 7
TOP 9 - Craport's base hit scores Seamus Curran. DEL 9, COL 7
The series now rolls into the weekend. Columbia and Delmarva start game two on Saturday at 6:05 ET at Spirit Communications Park. Righty Luc Rennie (2-1, 1.93) starts for the Fireflies and faces Shorebirds lefty Cameron Bishop (8-5, 2.90).
You can watch the action on MiLB.TV or listen in on FOX Sports Radio 1400 AM, ColumbiaFireflies.com and the iHeartRadio app starting at 5:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Drive Offense Stays Hot in 10-5 Win in Augusta - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Outpunch Fireflies to Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- GreenJackets Drop Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hernandez's Three-Hit Effort Not Enough in Walk-Off Loss - West Virginia Power
- What Is Love: Hoppers Celebrate Miss Babe - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Delmarva Takes Marathon Opener in Columbia - Columbia Fireflies
- Hat Trick in the Third Leads Legends to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Garcia Drives in Three as RiverDogs Take Opener against Suns - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Take Grasshoppers by Storm in Series Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Tenth Inning Triumph for the Braves - Rome Braves
- Crawdads Five Game Win Streak Halted by Homers - Hickory Crawdads
- Duran Homers Twice, Claws Open Series with 7-1 Win at Hickory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 10 vs. Delmarva (Game 113) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Catcher Lopez Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Finalists Chosen for Fans to Decide RiverDogs "Top Dog" in 2018 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Night Walk-Off for GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tetreault K's Eleven in Walk-Off Loss; Game Two Canceled - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Columbia Stumbles in Opener to West Virginia
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: April 22 at West Virginia (Game 17)
- Dirocie Goes Yard, Columbia Drops Pair of One-Run Games
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 20 Doubleheader vs. Hickory (Games 15 & 16)
- Rain Postpones Friday's Game against Hickory