Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 10 vs. Delmarva (Game 113)
Effective Friday, August 10, 2018
- INF Oliver Pascual transferred to Columbia's disabled list
- LHP Aaron Ford activated from Columbia's disabled list
Columbia Fireflies (18-27, 52-60) vs. Delmarva Shorebirds (22-23, 57-55)
RHP Yeizo Campos (1-3, 3.33) vs. RHP Luis Perez (2-2, 2.02)
Fri., August 10, 2018 - Spirit Communications Park - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 113
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
WATCH: MiLB.tv: MiLB.tv
ABOUT LAST GAME: Marcel Renteria punched out a career-high nine batters on Thursday night at Spirit Communications Park. The righty lasted 5.1 innings, allowed five earned runs, and only walked one batter. Renteria pitched in front his parents, George Sr. and Barbara, for the first time as a professional. Despite the strong effort, the Fireflies dropped the series finale 11-1 to the Drive.
THRILLERS: Columbia opens up a four-game series with the Delmarva Shorebirds on Friday night. The Fireflies produced two walk-off victories against the Orioles Low-A affiliate in the prior series (May 12-15).
- May 13: Down 4-3 in the 10th, Jay Jabs dropped a bunt down the third-base line and two runs scored on a throwing error from third baseman Trevor Craport.
- May 15: Down 8-6 in the 10th, the Fireflies scored three runs in the bottom of the frame. Scott Manea was hit by pitch with the bases loaded and Hansel Moreno scored the game-winning run.
STREAKIN': Matt Winaker continued his sizzling stretch of baseball with a double in the series finale against Greenville, which extended his on-base streak to 20 games..
STREAKIN' Pt. II: The 22-year-old joins a lengthy list of Fireflies who have posted on-base streaks of 15 games or longer this season:
LONGEST ON-BASE STREAKS, 2018 FIREFLIES:
1. Jeremy Vasquez, 29* April 5-May 6
2. Raphael Gladu, 28 May 2-June 9
3. Matt Winaker, 20 July 19-pres
4. Blake Tiberi, 17 June 13-July 6
5. Scott Manea, 16 April 21-May 12
*franchise and 2018 SAL record
LEAGUE LEADERS: Columbia pitchers fanned 12 more batters on Wednesday. The Fireflies pitching staff has struck out 1,051 hitters this season, second only to Lakewood (1,074) in the South Atlantic League. Fireflies right-hander, Tony Dibrell, leads the league with 126 strikeouts.
FUTBOL: The USC Women's Soccer team will be recognized tonight at Spirit Communications Park. The 2017 squad put together a memorable season, advancing to the College Cup for the first time in school history.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Drive Offense Stays Hot in 10-5 Win in Augusta - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Outpunch Fireflies to Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- GreenJackets Drop Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hernandez's Three-Hit Effort Not Enough in Walk-Off Loss - West Virginia Power
- What Is Love: Hoppers Celebrate Miss Babe - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Delmarva Takes Marathon Opener in Columbia - Columbia Fireflies
- Hat Trick in the Third Leads Legends to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Garcia Drives in Three as RiverDogs Take Opener against Suns - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Take Grasshoppers by Storm in Series Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Tenth Inning Triumph for the Braves - Rome Braves
- Crawdads Five Game Win Streak Halted by Homers - Hickory Crawdads
- Duran Homers Twice, Claws Open Series with 7-1 Win at Hickory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 10 vs. Delmarva (Game 113) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Catcher Lopez Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Finalists Chosen for Fans to Decide RiverDogs "Top Dog" in 2018 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Night Walk-Off for GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tetreault K's Eleven in Walk-Off Loss; Game Two Canceled - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.