Dunn's Pitching and Knapp's Grand Slam Carry Travs
ringfield, MO-The Arkansas Travelers broke out early and avoided a sweep with an 8-2 win over the ringfield Cardinals on Wednesday. A six-run third inning provided much of the offense with Aaron Knapp's grand slam highlighting the action. Cardinals' starter Harold Arauz was knocked out in that third inning after being dinged for seven runs total. Justin Dunn was very good in the start on the other side as he worked six shutout innings. It was Dunn's second longest outing of the season as he struck out seven with no walks and allowed just four hits, all singles.
Moments That Mattered
Jordan Cowan ripped an RBI single to put the Travs up two in the third. It was the first hit of the day for Arkansas with a runner in scoring position after going 0-7 to start.
After Joe DeCarlo pushed the lead to three with an RBI single, Aaron Knapp unloaded with a grand slam to right-center to bust the game open.
Notable Travs Performances
SS Donnie Walton: 2-3, 2 BB, run, 2B
3B Chris Mariscal: 2-3, 2 BB, run
2B Jordan Cowan: 3-5, run, RBI
1B Nick Zammarelli: 2-4, BB, run, RBI
RF Aaron Knapp: 2-4, run, HR, 4 RBI
RHP Justin Dunn: Win, 6 IP, 4 H, 7 K
News and Notes
The win was the first of the season for the Travs in a day game on the road.
Dan Altavilla rejoined the Travs bullpen after being optioned down from Seattle. RHP Carlos Hernandez was transferred to Extended ring Training by the Mariners.
Knapp's homer was the team's second grand slam of 2019 (Logan Taylor, May 2).
The roadtrip continues with the first of four in Tulsa on Thursday night with a 7:05 first pitch. Left-hander Ricardo Sanchez (4-2, 3.15) goes for the Travs against a yet to be announced starter for the Drillers. The game will be broadcast on the orts Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Hooks Toss One-Hitter to Take Frisco Series - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Riders Sunken by Hooks in Series Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Cardinals Fall into Early Hole, Lose 8-2 to Travelers - Springfield Cardinals
- Dunn's Pitching and Knapp's Grand Slam Carry Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa Drops Fourth Straight with 6-5 Loss - Tulsa Drillers
- Featherston Homers Twice as Naturals Sweep Drillers - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Fall to Sod Poodles - Midland RockHounds
- HODGETOWN to Host Pampa-Canyon 4A Regional Quarterfinal Playoff Games - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Hooks Hang on for 4-2 Win vs. Division Leaders - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Profar, Riders Down Hooks in Extras - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Drillers Defeated in Wild 22-Run Game - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Claim Series with Slugfest Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Warner Ks 10, Cardinals Beat Travs 3-1 for 3rd Straight Series Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Welcome over 100,000 Fans to HODGETOWN, Even Series with 9-4 Victory over Midland - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.