Hooks Hang on for 4-2 Win vs. Division Leaders
CORPUS CHRISTI - The Hooks snagged a 4-2 win in the opener of a three-game set against the Frisco RoughRiders Monday at Whataburger Field.
The two sides combined to go 1-for-19 with runners in scoring position.
Carlos Sanabria and Kit Scheetz combined to toss 4.1 scoreless innings against Texas League South division leaders.
Corpus Christi plated a run in the first inning against a wild Jonathan Hernandez, who walked Osvaldo Duarte to start the game. Duarte subsequently stole second and Ronnie Dawson got hit by a pitch. With two outs and runners at the corners, Hernandez threw a wild pitch that allowed Duarte to score.
In the second, Lorenzo Quintana drew a two-out walk and went first-to-home on a Anibal Sierra double for a 2-0 lead.
The RoughRiders tied it up in the fifth against righty Brandon Bailey, who went 4.2 innings allowing the pair of runs on six hits and two walks.
Corpus took the lead for good in the sixth against Esmerling Vasquez, who hit Joshua Rojas to start the frame. Rojas stole second and went to third on a throwing error by the catcher Tony Sanchez and scored on a Stephen Wrenn sacrifice fly for the 3-2 advantage. The Hooks loaded the bases, and Ronnie Dawson drew a walk to pick up the free RBI and the 4-2 final.
Sanabria (W, 1-0) worked his third consecutive scoreless outing, surrendering three walks but no hits. Scheetz (S, 2) struck out three over 2.0 scoreless innings.
Game two of the series starts at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday with Brandon Bielak (2-0, 4.68) on the bump against righty Tyler Phillips, making his Double-A debut.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Hooks Toss One-Hitter to Take Frisco Series - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Riders Sunken by Hooks in Series Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Cardinals Fall into Early Hole, Lose 8-2 to Travelers - Springfield Cardinals
- Dunn's Pitching and Knapp's Grand Slam Carry Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa Drops Fourth Straight with 6-5 Loss - Tulsa Drillers
- Featherston Homers Twice as Naturals Sweep Drillers - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Fall to Sod Poodles - Midland RockHounds
- HODGETOWN to Host Pampa-Canyon 4A Regional Quarterfinal Playoff Games - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Hooks Hang on for 4-2 Win vs. Division Leaders - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Profar, Riders Down Hooks in Extras - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Drillers Defeated in Wild 22-Run Game - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Claim Series with Slugfest Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Warner Ks 10, Cardinals Beat Travs 3-1 for 3rd Straight Series Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Welcome over 100,000 Fans to HODGETOWN, Even Series with 9-4 Victory over Midland - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Astros World Series Gear Now Available at Whataburger Field
- Details for Little Joe's Birthday Bash: Tex Mex Fest this Saturday
- Public Invited to Halloween with the Hooks on October 24
- Top 10 Hooks Moments of 2019
- Brady Ballard Named Assistant General Manager of Corpus Christi Hooks