RockHounds Fall to Sod Poodles
ter seeing a lead vanish late in Monday night's series opener, the Sod Poodles busted out again, this time to a 9-1 advantage, and went on to defeat the RockHounds, 9-4, Tuesday night at HODGETOWN in Amarillo, Texas.
Edward Oliveras drove in two runs in the early going (he is now second in the Texas League with 28 RBI) and Brad Zunica added a solo home run as Amarillo took a 3-0 lead after three innings. The Sod Poodles then scored a hat trick in both the fourth and fifth innings, building the lead to 9-1. Rodrigo Orozco had the biggest single swing of those two innings, a two-run single in the fourth.
Kyle Lloyd, who threw a 9-inning no-hitter against Frisco as a member of the San Antonio Missions in 2017, went five strong innings for the win. The right-hander allowed one run on five hits and a walk while striking out six.
The clubs have split the first two games of the three-game series (the 'Hounds lead the season series, 6-2) with the finale Wednesday evening (7:05).
Frisco defeated Corpus Christi, 5-4 (in 10 innings at "the beach"), so the RoughRiders (22-16) now lead the RockHounds (19-18) by two-and-a-half games and the Hooks (18-19) by three-and-a-half (Amarillo stays six back).
HODGETOWN (that's how it's spelled) has not been kind to RockHounds starter James Naile. In his first start (April 8) at the new ballpark in Amarillo, he allowed eight runs (on eight hits) in three innings and the Sod Poodles scored nine runs (six earned) on 10 hits in 4? Tuesday night (a 17.18 ERA).
Brad Zunica's home run was his seventh of the season, five of them in the first six games of the season (April 4-9). ter going almost exactly one month without a dinger, he homered on May 10 and again Tuesday night.
"This Game Will Keep You Humble Dept." In the series opener, Owen Miller (4-4, double, walk) and Buddy Reed (4-for-4, double, HR, two RBI, stolen base) went a combined 8-for-8 and reached base in all nine plate appearances. Tuesday night, Reed singled and scored (and stole a base in four trips Tuesday while Miller, who was on deck when the Amarillo eighth inning ended, lost a seven-game hit streak, going 0-for-4,
The good news wasn't plentiful Tuesday, but there were a few bright spots:
Jonah Heim led the offense with a three-hit night (3-for-5) and has been perhaps the club's most consistent hitter. Jonah has reached base in 22-of-his-last-25 games (.312).
Mikey White singled in his last at-bat to extend his hit streak to five (9-22, .409) and his on-base streak to 13 games (.286).
Luis Barrera went 2-for-5 with a double and his league-leading fourth triple, each hit driving in a run. In his last six at-bats, Luis is 3-for-6 with a double, triple, and home run.
Anthony Miller beat out an infield single (and drew a walk) and has hit in four straight games (5-15, .333).
ter two rough outings (since coming to the RockHounds from Las Vegas), Cody Stull returned to form. The lefty went 2? scoreless innings, allowing just two hits (one on a swinging bunt) with no walks and two K's.
Wednesday, May 15 vs. Amarillo Sod Poodles
HODGETOWN Amarillo, Texas
First pitch 7:05 p.m.
- Final of a three-game series and road trip
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 7:00 p.m.
AMA: T.J. Weir (RH, 2-2, 7.43)
RH: Brian Howard (RH, 3-1, 2.37)
The RockHounds host Corpus Christi in a "four-day weekend" at Rocky Town, May 16-19:
- Thirsty Thursday (May 16)
- Copa Celebration (Matamoscas) & RockHounds Caps (Friday, May 17
- Fireworks (Saturday, May 18)
- Family Day (Sunday, May 19 at 2:00 p.m.)
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Hooks Toss One-Hitter to Take Frisco Series - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Riders Sunken by Hooks in Series Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Cardinals Fall into Early Hole, Lose 8-2 to Travelers - Springfield Cardinals
- Dunn's Pitching and Knapp's Grand Slam Carry Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa Drops Fourth Straight with 6-5 Loss - Tulsa Drillers
- Featherston Homers Twice as Naturals Sweep Drillers - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Fall to Sod Poodles - Midland RockHounds
- HODGETOWN to Host Pampa-Canyon 4A Regional Quarterfinal Playoff Games - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Hooks Hang on for 4-2 Win vs. Division Leaders - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Profar, Riders Down Hooks in Extras - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Drillers Defeated in Wild 22-Run Game - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Claim Series with Slugfest Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Warner Ks 10, Cardinals Beat Travs 3-1 for 3rd Straight Series Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Welcome over 100,000 Fans to HODGETOWN, Even Series with 9-4 Victory over Midland - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Midland RockHounds Stories
- MLB Officially Announces Cancellation of 2020 Minor League Season
- Update for All USA Softball Ticket PurchasersÃÂ
- USA Softball Postpones "Stand Beside Her Tour" Due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Update on Midland RockHounds 2020 Season
- Texas Tech Baseball Game Canceled