Dugger's Strong Start Helps Shrimp Beat Lookouts, 7-2
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp right-hander Robert Dugger pitched seven innings for the first time in the Southern League, and his team broke a 2-2 tie with a four-run sixth inning against the Chattanooga Lookouts for a 7-2 win in front of 3,020 and their dogs for Canines and Crustaceans Bark in the Park presented by Standard Feed and Seed, Community First Credit Union Two-for-Tuesday, and Coors Light $2 Tuesday at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
Dugger (2-2) worked around a walk in the first inning and a leadoff triple in the second inning and did not allow a run in the first four innings. He retired nine consecutive batters before beginning the fifth inning by hitting Lookouts right fielder Jaylin Davis. Three batters later, Chattanooga shortstop Jordan Gore hit a two-out, two-run home run to the right-field bleachers. After that, Dugger worked around a single in the sixth and a pair of walks in the seventh. He lasted seven innings, matching his season high, and allowed two earned runs on three hits and three walks with six strikeouts.
For the Lookouts (5-14 second half, 41-47 overall), Minnesota Twins right-hander Ervin Santana pitched the first five innings as part of a rehab assignment. He retired the first 10 batters, before Jacksonville right fielder Monte Harrison put down a bunt single to the third-base side with one out in the fourth inning. Two batters later, first baseman Peter O'Brien hit a two-out, two-run home run out of the stadium to left field, giving Jacksonville (7-12, 35-52) a 2-0 lead. Santana retired the next four batters to complete five innings, allowing two earned runs on two hits and no walks with six strikeouts.
Chattanooga left-hander Sam Clay (1-5) began the pivotal bottom of the sixth inning in a 2-2 tie. Center fielder Brian Miller put down a one-out bunt single, which Clay threw past first base, allowing Miller to reach third base. Harrison hit a go-ahead single to right field, scoring Miller. Second baseman Isan Diaz walked, and O'Brien grounded into a fielder's choice, putting runners at first and second bases with two outs. Shortstop Joe Dunand then reached on an error by second baseman Alex Perez, allowing another run to score. Designated hitter Eric Jagielo then hit a two-run double to center field for a 6-2 Jumbo Shrimp lead. The final run came in the bottom of the eighth inning, when Diaz doubled to right field off right-hander Williams Ramirez and scored on Jagielo's single to right field. Jacksonville right-hander Kolton Mahoney was perfect over the final two innings to finish Jacksonville's season-best fourth straight win and clinch its first second-half series victory.
UP NEXT: The Jumbo Shrimp will conclude their series with Chattanooga at 12:05 p.m. Wednesday, when Jacksonville right-hander Merandy Gonzalez (0-3) is scheduled to face Lookouts left-hander Dietrich Enns (0-2). Gates open at 11 a.m. for Big Splash Day, when the Baseball Grounds transforms into a water park with two inflatable water slides. Bring water guns, water balloons, wear bathing suits and prepare to get wet! Dry zones are Sections 105-110 and the BDO Suite Level.
ABOUT THE JUMBO SHRIMP: The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp offer affordable family fun at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Their inaugural season garnered the Southern League's Don Mincher Organization of the Year, Promotional Trophy, and Jimmy Bragan Executive of the Year, won by General Manager Harold Craw. To experience the excitement with the terrific value of ticket and group options, call the Jumbo Shrimp at (904) 358-2846 or visit www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 10, 2018
- Demeritte and Marlette Homer in Mississippi's 3-1 Win over Barons - Mississippi Braves
- Takahashi Grills Biloxi, Helps Generals Snap Skid - Jackson Generals
- Dugger's Strong Start Helps Shrimp Beat Lookouts, 7-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Bats Quiet In 3-1 Defeat - Birmingham Barons
- BayBears Rally in Ninth But Fall One Run Short - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Earn First Win in Biloxi Behind Takahashi's Ten K's - Biloxi Shuckers
- Wahoos Edge BayBears, 3-2 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Home Runs Match, Pitching Does Not - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Luis Ortiz Added to USA Roster for Futures Game - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits Battle Past Smokies, 4-3 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Biscuits Outlast Smokies - Tennessee Smokies
- Angels No. 3 Prospect Jahmai Jones Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Neslony, Wilson Earn Weekly Honors - Mississippi Braves
- LHP Brock Burke Transferred to Biscuits from A+ Charlotte - Montgomery Biscuits
- Barons Even Series with An 8-1 Victory over Mississippi on Monday - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Bash Four Home Runs in Big Win over Wahoos - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp to Host Family Holiday Event at the Baseball Grounds December 8
- Jumbo Shrimp, City of Jacksonville Agree to Long-Term Lease
- "Trolls" Family Movie Night Is Saturday at the Baseball Grounds
- Roger Hoover Named 2018 Southern League Radio Broadcaster of the Year
- Braves Defeat Jumbo Shrimp in Season Finale, 4-1