Donovan Homers and Doubles in Chiefs Loss
Fort Wayne, IN - The Peoria Chiefs hit their first home run off a left-handed pitcher since May 5 but fell to the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Wednesday night 6-2 in the first game of a nine-game, 10-day road trip. Brendan Donovan, who hit the homer and also doubled, was the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
Donovan started the game with a double against Ryan Weathers, the 7th overall pick in the 2018 draft. Delvin Perez singled to put runners on the corners and Brady Whalen drove in his league-leading 56th run with a groundout to third base.
With the Chiefs down 6-1, Donovan launched a 398-foot home run with an exit velocity of 103 MPH. The blast landed under the video board in right-center field and cut the Chiefs deficit to four. Donovan leads the active roster with eight homers and the blast was the first hit by a lefty, off a lefty this season.
The Chiefs bullpen did not allow a hit or a run over 3 1/3 innings. Parker Kelly struck out two over 2 1/3 perfect innings and stranded two runners. Rodard Avelino walked one and struck out one while inducing a double play in his hitless inning.
The Chiefs will have LH Colin Schmid on the mound Thursday against Ft. Wayne RH Sam Keating with a 6:05 Central Time start. Fans in Peoria can join Homer and members of the Chiefs front office at Bullpen Bar & Grill at Landmark for a Watch Party. There will be $1 Natural Light Drafts, $2 Bud Family bottles, 50 cent jello shots and half price pizzas. Fans outside Peoria can listen to Thursday's broadcast, beginning with the Pre-Game Show at 5:50 p.m. (CT) on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.tv to subscribers.
The Chiefs return home on Saturday, July 27 to start a seven-game homestand. Individual game tickets, group tickets and season ticket packages, including full-season, a 35-game ticket package, an 18-game ticket package or a Flex Plan are currently on sale by calling 309-680-4000. Individual game tickets are also on sale with the Dozer Park Box Office open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and online at www.peoriachiefs.com which also lists all of the season's promotions. Game times and promotions are subject to change.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 17, 2019
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short - Lake County Captains
- Donovan Homers and Doubles in Chiefs Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Lose to River Bandits in Road Trip Opener, 9-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Rain Clears, Cougars Storm Back - Kane County Cougars
- Homers Lead Rattlers to Win on Their Return Home - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Steer, Akins Drive Kernels in 5-4 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wild Pitches Add Up in LumberKings Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Back in a Groove - Great Lakes Loons
- Ryan Weathers Stars As TinCaps Win Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 17 vs. Peoria (Game 93) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons 5K at Fifth Third Field this Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff