Defenseman Keegan Kanzig Signs PTO with AHL San Diego Gulls
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho Steelheads defenseman Keegan Kanzig has signed a Professional Tryout (PTO) with the San Diego Gulls (AHL), Head Coach & Director of Hockey Operations Everett Sheen announced on Thursday.
Kanzig, 24, has appeared in 46 games with the Steelheads this season, posting two points (1-1-2) while leading the team with 108 penalty minutes. The Athabasca, Alb. native last appeared in the AHL with the Stockton Heat during the 2016-17 season and owns two assists with 21 penalty minutes through nine AHL games after being drafted 67th overall (Round 3) by the Calgary Flames in the 2013 NHL Draft.
The 6-foot-6, 252-pound defenseman is in his second-straight season of serving as an alternate captain for the Steelheads and was named the 2018-19 PHPA ECHL Co-Defenseman of the Year as well as 2018-19 Steelheads Defenseman of the Year. Last season, he owned 18 points (4-14-18) with 167 penalty minutes and a team-leading plus-30 rating in all 72 games. In 221 ECHL games, he boasts 30 points (6-24-30) with 445 penalty minutes and a plus-53 rating.
Prior to his professional career, Kanzig played five seasons in the WHL with the Victoria Royals and Calgary Hitmen, posting 59 points (19-40-59) with 565 penalty minutes in 319 games and led the WHL in penalty minutes in 2014-15 (166 PIM).
The Steelheads meet the Toledo Walleye for a two-game road weekend beginning this Saturday, Feb. 15 from Huntington Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 5:15 p.m. MT.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 7:10 p.m. against the Kansas City Mavericks. The Hockey Starter Pack provides the benefits of the ultimate fan on the time you want! Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to inquire about getting your pack as well as planning your next outing with single-game tickets, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 13, 2020
- Defenseman Keegan Kanzig Signs PTO with AHL San Diego Gulls - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Adds Former NHL Defenseman Olsen - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 13 - ECHL
- IceMen Add Zach Hall; Manitoba Returns Lynch, Recalls D'Aoust - Jacksonville IceMen
- Spencer Recalled by Americans - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Barracuda Loan Langan Back to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Hosts Tulsa on Valentine's Day - Wichita Thunder
- Komets, Vera Bradley Foundation "Pink the Rink" Nights Set for February 21 and 22 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads, Jayden DeLuca Foundation Raise over $17,500 in Jersey Auction - Idaho Steelheads
- Wittchow Reassigned to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Weis Scores 6 Points in Return as Rays Rout Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.