Davis' Eighth-Inning Single Vaults Power to 3-2 Win
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - J.R. Davis snapped a 2-2 tie in the eighth inning with a base hit up the middle, pushing the Power in front for good as they claimed a 3-2 win Saturday evening over the Lakewood BlueClaws at FirstEnergy Park.
Tied at two with two down in the eighth, Bobby Honeyman scorched a double off the top of the right-field wall to put a runner in scoring position for West Virginia (2-1, 39-34). Davis took the second pitch he saw from Kevin Gowdy (0-3) and scalded it up the middle. BlueClaws second baseman Jonathan Guzman ranged to his right to try and knock it down, but the ball glanced off his knee and bounded into center field, allowing Honeyman to score the go-ahead run.
The Power's bullpen took over from there, as Kyle Hill (1-0) tossed his second consecutive scoreless inning in the home half of the eighth, wiggling around a pair of one-out singles by Luis Garcia and Carlos De La Cruz to strike out the side and maintain West Virginia's one-run cushion. Bryan Pall (S,4) silenced Lakewood (1-2, 30-43) in the ninth, striking out the first two batters he faced before inducing a groundout to short from Hunter Stovall to end it.
Steven Moyers battled back from a rough start to post his fifth consecutive quality outing, ceding two runs over six solid innings while punching out nine batters, tied for his career-high. Across his past five starts, Moyers has surrendered nine earned runs over 33.2 innings, good for a 2.41 ERA.
The BlueClaws took an early 1-0 lead in the first, as Abrahan Gutierrez singled with one away and moved to second on Garcia's knock, while Seth Lancaster brought him in with a run-scoring hit to right. Gutierrez extended Lakewood's edge in the third, lofting his first home run of the season just over the right-field fence for a 2-0 lead.
The Power fought back in the fifth, as Charlie McConnell singled to lead off the frame. James McArthur then hit Jake Anchia to put runners at first and second with nobody out. The next batter, Nick Rodriguez, blasted a double over the head of De La Cruz in center, plating McConnell and Anchia to knot the game at two.
West Virginia concludes its four-game series against the Lakewood BlueClaws Sunday afternoon at FirstEnergy Park, with first pitch set for 1:05 p.m. RHP Josias De Los Santos (0-4, 4.95 ERA) gets the ball for the Power, while the BlueClaws counter with lefty Manuel Silva (1-2, 6.21 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 12:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power returns to Appalachian Power Park on Thursday, June 27, to begin a seven-game homestand against the Kannapolis Intimidators and Hickory Crawdads. It's Wheelers Weekend in downtown Charleston, with West Virginia honoring their former moniker over a three-day stretch from June 28-30. On June 29, the first 1,000 fans will receive a Dan Wilson replica Wheelers jersey giveaway! For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Senger Plates Three, Fireflies Fall in Ninth - Columbia Fireflies
- 14 Strikeouts Lead to 8-1 Loss Saturday Night for Kannapolis - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Offense Breaks out to Beat Kannapolis 8-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Langeliers Drives Rome to 5-3 Victory over Hagerstown - Rome Braves
- Dogs Bats Stay Quiet in Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Errors Cost 'Birds in G-Boro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Hold RiverDogs to Two Hits in Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Gutierrez Homers, But Claws Fall 3-2 to West Virginia - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Davis' Eighth-Inning Single Vaults Power to 3-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Legends Fall in Game Three to Drive - Lexington Legends
- Golsan Drops Down Walk-Off Winning Bunt - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Suffer First Loss in Second Half - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 22 at Asheville (Game 69) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 22) - West Virginia Power
- Rome on the losing end of lopsided affair - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.