Offense Breaks out to Beat Kannapolis 8-1
KANNAPOLIS, NORTH CAROLINA: The Augusta GreenJackets (37-34, 1-2) walked nine times and the offense collected eight hits as they beat the Kannapolis Intimidators (30-41, 2-1) on Saturday evening by a final score of 8-1. Luis Amaya and Jesus Tona combined for 4.1-innings of no-hit baseball out of the GreenJackets bullpen.
After Jacob Gonzalez had a two-hit game on Friday, he brought his hot-bat with him into Saturday. The GreenJackets loaded the bases with only one out in the 1st inning. Gonzalez drilled a single back up-the-middle, and the GreenJackets took a 2-0 lead.
Seth Corry did not allow a run through the first four-innings, and it looked like he was on the verge of going five frames of shutout baseball. With runners on 2nd and 3rd base for Kannapolis, Corry struckout Bryce Bush, but it was a dropped 3rd strike. Angulo needed to make a throw to 1st to complete the strikeout. His throw to 1st base hit off the back of Bush and it allowed Amado Nunez to score from 3rd base, making it just a 2-1 GreenJackets lead.
Corry ended his night after 4.2 innings and he allows just one-run while striking-out seven. Luis Amaya came in and got the final out in the 5th for the Jackets.
The Kannapolis pitching staff continued to have command issues. A two-out walk to Nico Giarratano in the 6th inning allowed Jose Layer to bat. Layer belted his 2nd home run of the season to make it a 4-1 Jackets lead. It was the first home run for Layer since April 6th in Asheville.
The GreenJackets offense poured it on in the 9th inning. Two, two-RBI doubles from Zander Clarke and Nico Giarratano sealed it up, and the Jackets took home an 8-1 win. Amaya and Jesus Tona combined for 4.1 innings of no-hit baseball out of the Jackets bullpen and Amaya earned the win.
Player of the Game: Luis Amaya, 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
Luis Amaya had swing-and-miss stuff all evening and the Intimidators couldn't catch-up to his fastball. Amaya threw 28 pitches out of the bullpen, and 24 of them were strikes.
Tomorrow's Game: 3:00 PM vs Kannapolis Intimidators (Chicago White Sox), Intimidators Stadium, Kannapolis, North Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (KAN) RHP Johan Dominguez (3-3, 2.08 ERA) vs (AUG) RHP Keaton Winn (3-4, 3.80 ERA)
Keaton Winn will look to continue his brilliance on the mound as he makes the Sunday afternoon start for the GreenJackets. In his last outing, Winn went 6.1 innings, the longest start for any GreenJackets pitcher this year. In his last three starts, he has gone at least six-innings in each, and has an ERA of 2.49 during that stretch. Winn was selected by the San Francisco Giants in 2017 in the 20th round. He decided to return to Iowa Western Community College for one more season, and he was drafted by the Giants again, this time in the 5th round.
Johan Dominguez will make the start for the Intimidators. The 2019 All-Star pitched on Tuesday in the All-Star Game for the North Division, and he went 0.2 innings without allowing a run. The 23-year old has thrown in 39-innings this year which is the 2nd most he has tossed in his career. In 2016, he pitched in 58.1 innings when he was part of the Milwaukee Brewers organization in the Dominican Summer League. He was traded to the White Sox in 2018 in a trade that sent left-handed pitcher Xavier Cedeno and outfielder Bryan Connell to the Brewers.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Senger Plates Three, Fireflies Fall in Ninth - Columbia Fireflies
- 14 Strikeouts Lead to 8-1 Loss Saturday Night for Kannapolis - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Offense Breaks out to Beat Kannapolis 8-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Langeliers Drives Rome to 5-3 Victory over Hagerstown - Rome Braves
- Dogs Bats Stay Quiet in Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Errors Cost 'Birds in G-Boro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Hold RiverDogs to Two Hits in Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Gutierrez Homers, But Claws Fall 3-2 to West Virginia - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Davis' Eighth-Inning Single Vaults Power to 3-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Legends Fall in Game Three to Drive - Lexington Legends
- Golsan Drops Down Walk-Off Winning Bunt - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Suffer First Loss in Second Half - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 22 at Asheville (Game 69) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 22) - West Virginia Power
- Rome on the losing end of lopsided affair - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.