Gutierrez Homers, But Claws Fall 3-2 to West Virginia
LAKEWOOD, NJ - JR Davis broke a 2-2 tie with an eighth inning RBI single as West Virginia topped the BlueClaws 3-2 on Saturday night at FirstEnergy Park.
The Power (2-1/39-34) have taken two of three from the BlueClaws (1-2/30-43) in the first series of the second half.
West Virginia took the lead in the top of the eighth inning on an RBI single up the middle by JR Davis, scoring Bobby Honeyman who had doubled with two out. That was the lone run allowed by Kevin Gowdy (0-3) in his three innings of work.
Kyle Hill (1-0) threw two scoreless innings in releif while Bryan Pall got the last three outs for his fourth save of the season.
Lakewood opened the scoring in the first inning on an RBI single from Seth Lancaster. The left-handed hitter from Coastal Carolina played in his first game with the BlueClaws after opening the season with Williamsport in the NY-Penn League. He was added to the BlueClaws roster on Friday.
Abrahan Gutierrez doubled the lead with a solo home run in the third inning. It was his first as a BlueClaw, second with the Phillies, and third career home run for the 19 year old.
West Virginia tied the game in the top of the fifth on a two-run double from Nick Rodriguez off James McArthur.
McArthur came out after five innings, allowing two runs on four hits with five strikeouts and no walks.
Power starter Steven Moyers gave up two runs on eight hits over six innings of wor.
Luis Garcia had three hits, his first three hit game of the season, in the loss for the BlueClaws while Gutierrez scored both Lakewood runs. Gutierrez and Carlos De La Cruz had two hits apiece.
The teams finish their series on Sunday afternoon at 1:05 pm. LHP Manuel Silva starts for the BlueClaws.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Senger Plates Three, Fireflies Fall in Ninth - Columbia Fireflies
- 14 Strikeouts Lead to 8-1 Loss Saturday Night for Kannapolis - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Offense Breaks out to Beat Kannapolis 8-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Langeliers Drives Rome to 5-3 Victory over Hagerstown - Rome Braves
- Dogs Bats Stay Quiet in Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Errors Cost 'Birds in G-Boro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Hold RiverDogs to Two Hits in Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Gutierrez Homers, But Claws Fall 3-2 to West Virginia - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Davis' Eighth-Inning Single Vaults Power to 3-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Legends Fall in Game Three to Drive - Lexington Legends
- Golsan Drops Down Walk-Off Winning Bunt - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Suffer First Loss in Second Half - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 22 at Asheville (Game 69) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 22) - West Virginia Power
- Rome on the losing end of lopsided affair - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.