14 Strikeouts Lead to 8-1 Loss Saturday Night for Kannapolis
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - The Kannapolis Intimidators (2-1, 30-41) struck out 14 times against the Augusta GreenJackets (1-2, 37-34) pitching staff Saturday night, dropping their first game of the second half 8-1 at Intimidators Stadium supported by Atrium Health.
It didn't take long for Augusta to get on the board. A couple early walks from Jason Bilous (L, 2-5) in the top of the first put Ismael Munguia and Shane Matheny on base. Jacob Gonzalez then singled to score both runners to give the GreenJackets an early 2-0 lead.
Bilous' day came to an end after just four innings. Despite giving up just two hits and two earned runs, he walked five that brought up his pitch count (87). Wilber Perez came in for relief.
It wasn't until the bottom of the fifth inning that the Intimidators managed to get a run across. With Amado Nunez on third and two outs, Bryce Bush struck out swinging. However, the pitch got away from Augusta's catcher and Bush was able to reach safely, allowing Nunez to score to cut the deficit to 2-1.
In the very next frame, the top of the sixth, Augusta tacked on two more runs for themselves. In Perez's second inning of work, he gave up a two-run home run to Jose Layer (2) that also scored Nico Giarratano to make things 4-1. Perez was taken out before the inning was over and Kevin Folman came in to relieve him.
Folman pitched a few scoreless innings until the top of the ninth. A bases loaded single from Zander Clarke scored Diego Rincones and Matheny to put Augusta up 6-1. A double from Giarratano then scored Gonzalez and Clarke to extend the lead out to 8-1.
The Intimidators weren't able to get any rally going in the bottom of the ninth and fell 8-1.
Kannapolis wraps up their series with Augusta on Sunday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. with All-Star Johan Dominguez (3-3, 2.08 ERA) taking the mound for the Intimidators against Augusta's Keaton Winn (3-4, 3.80 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Senger Plates Three, Fireflies Fall in Ninth - Columbia Fireflies
- 14 Strikeouts Lead to 8-1 Loss Saturday Night for Kannapolis - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Offense Breaks out to Beat Kannapolis 8-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Langeliers Drives Rome to 5-3 Victory over Hagerstown - Rome Braves
- Dogs Bats Stay Quiet in Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Errors Cost 'Birds in G-Boro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Hold RiverDogs to Two Hits in Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Gutierrez Homers, But Claws Fall 3-2 to West Virginia - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Davis' Eighth-Inning Single Vaults Power to 3-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Legends Fall in Game Three to Drive - Lexington Legends
- Golsan Drops Down Walk-Off Winning Bunt - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Suffer First Loss in Second Half - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 22 at Asheville (Game 69) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 22) - West Virginia Power
- Rome on the losing end of lopsided affair - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Cannon Ballers Christmas & Trees of Hope Presented by Tim Marburger Chevrolet
- Cannon Ballers Honor Heroes Through Field of Honor
- Cannon Ballers Share Disappointment on Postponed Inaugural Season
- Cannon Ballers Making Strides in Community
- Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign